Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My new favorite helper.

Ok.  So my crock pot has always been my biggest kitchen helper, but I am learning to take advantage of it in other ways as well. 

I wanted to share this with you in hopes that you might come up with other creative ways to use yours also.

There are many crock pot recipes out there.  I use them all the time.

I have also found that I can use my crockpot just to keep dinner warm and ready. It doesn’t have to be something I put in the crockpot to cook all day.  I can make dinner early, and put it in the crockpot to keep warm until we are ready to eat.

I am always running around doing something else during the time I should be making dinner.

Selfishly, I am either at Zumba.

…or, I am running kids around to their events.

I hate that.

I have started making dinner earlier in the day, and then just putting it in the crock pot to stay warm until we get home.

 photo Cooking-0035_zpsf0772f10.jpg

This is picture of sloppy joes.  I made these  at about 2 in the afternoon.  I put the slop in my crockpot, and turned it to the keep warm setting.

We ate dinner at 6:30 that night, and I think they tasted even better because the mixture has time to simmer together and become flavorful.

I have also made these foods early:

homemade chicken nuggets

stroganoff

buffalo chicken filling for tacos or quesadillas

Parmesan chicken

stir fry

homemade mac n cheese

I can’t wait to try other recipes.

What recipes do you have that this method would work with?

5 comments:

Kathy@mishmashmom said...

There is no better feeling than having dinner made early, and not having to rush around at dinnertime...I LOVE my crockpot!

Deanna said...

Any kind of soup should be great in the "stay warm" setting.

KW said...

Good idea!

Colleen said...

love using mine too. makes life so much calmer at dinner time!

Amanda B said...

Chicken Salsa - recipe from a friend..
Diced chicken or chicken pieces, about 1 kg, cream of mushroom or chicken soup, u can actually get cream of mushroom & chicken so Im using that, jar of salsa and a pk of taco mix and sour cream(optional). Dont need brand names. in a oven dish or slow cooker fro few hrs n ur done! also bolognaise is fantastic in the crockpot/slow cooker, just brown mince first and throw rest of stuff in. we have also done risotto..

Related Posts with Thumbnails