Friday, July 1, 2011

Family Picture Time

Every year we, as in the six of us, get all dressed up and pose for the camera.    While we were in Houston, we were lucky to have one of Houston’s finest capture our family.  Luckily, she likes me and could squeeze us in.

Family 5

Taking family pictures is always a big project.

Hug

I spend weeks planning and preparing our wardrobe.  Because I also take pictures for a business, I know how important it is to get the colors and style just right.

Family 3

I also have a very small budget.  I am here to tell you that you can still look great on very little money.

How do I decide?

Inspiration

First, I start with inspiration.  My living room colors were my inspiration.  I wanted our family picture to look like it was made for our family room.

Plus, those colors will look great on our Christmas card.  Yes, we have already taken our Christmas Card picture.  I love it, and I can’t wait to share it with you. You only have to wait six more months.  I can cross that one of the list.  It is so nice to have something done for Christmas in June.

After I pick the colors, I like to think about the style that I am going for.  I wanted sophisticated woman, meets rock and roll.

I heart you 2 sharp

Once I decide on the colors and style I keep my eyes open.

Details of red

I ran across these gold skirts for the girls at old Navy in their clearance section; and beautiful gold shoes for Tessa’s feet.  I knew some red and black would seal the deal. 

Stella already had a black shirt.  I bought some red trim flowers from the Lob, and sewed it on.  I also made her a headband.  Tess already had this great black sweater, so I thought a flower pin would add just the right amount of red. I also made that out of the trim and a little hot glue. A strand of mother’s pearls also makes the outfit.  I made her a couple hair clips, and wa-la; the girls look hip and sophisticated.  In photography, the littlest details really do make all the difference.

Homemade Ties

I knew I wanted the boys to wear ties, but I had a hard time finding what I was looking for.  It was time to break out the sewing machine and make my own.  I found the tutorial here.  If you don’t sew, you could always search etsy for someone who does.  We already had white shirts and jeans.  I chose to have them wear their sneakers instead of dress shoes.  I like the look it gives.  Just the style I was going for.

Husband and Wife  Love

Luckily, my husband had just bought this black shirt.  I can’t resist a man in designer jeans and boots so that completed his rock and roll look.

Family picture 1

I am always the one that needs help.  I have a hard time picking out something for myself.  I knew I wanted a dress, and when I found this one for $8.00 on clearance at Target; I snatched it up.  I made it my own by adding a red tie.  I knew red heels and a red necklace would finish it off; so I hit the Goodwill.  Guess what, I found them both for $5.oo total.  My total outfit came to $13.00.  I painted my fingernails red to complete the ensemble.  I do believe that the details really make it.

tickle edit

Krysta did such a good job at capturing our family.  This picture says it all for me.

This is our life

THIS IS OUR LIFE!!

Once we got home, I couldn’t wait to print them.  This is another way that you can help make your pictures look there best.  Pick a quality printer.  Walmart is not going to do your pictures justice.  I love mpix.com.

I couldn’t wait to see what they would look like in our house.

picture frames

I love how the colors match.

Big Frame 2

What do you think?

I hope this helps you when thinking about your own family pictures.  The colors, style, printing, and of course the photographer you pick really do effect the outcome of your pictures.  You can have a part in making your images look even better.

For more photography inspiration visit me here, or Krysta here.

 

9 comments:

Kasey said...

Oh My Word! So, so, so cute! I love the chalkboard. The outfits.... your family is adorable. We both have Stella girls. I"ll have to check mypix.com out. Great inspiration.

~Sandy said...

These are amazing!!!! I love the chalkboard idea. Great pics!!!! Beautiful family too:)

katie@tulsadetails said...

Gorgeous photos and subjects!!!! The outfits are prefect!!! Love these!!!

Anonymous said...

LOOOVEEE your photos! Hey, why don't you use Mpix Pro or Miller's since you now have a photography business? I use them (all related companines) and they ROCK! ;) -J

Patty said...

Come to KC to do our hair and family pictures. I'm sure I could book you appointments for a couple of days.

Stella said...

Absolutely breathtaking. The pictures; the way you worked all things out about your wardrobe
(GORGEOUS!!!) It has been lovely to read this post and looking at the pictures made me sigh. Your friend did a wonderful job.
Speaking on being creative on a low budget; I can learn a lot from you. Your ideas are brilliant!
Happy 4th of July; although we are not celebrating in the Netherlands ( we have other days :)...) but it has been fun to see what it means to all of you!

Brunson's said...

Cute family pics as always. Krysta did great but she also had an adorable family to work with that I don't think could have a bad picture.

Eileen said...

I.Love.These.Photos!!!

Krysta said...

I love how they turned out! I always love coming to visit and walking around your house to see all your new photos printed and framed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails