Thursday, March 21, 2013

We are glass {What I have learned}

Stained-glass2

 image source

The other afternoon, I was cleaning off my kitchen counter and wiping everything down.  As I did so, I knocked over this cute little cupcake stand and of course the glass dome fell and BROKE.

 photo cake_zps3a1a8f61.jpg

I was so sad.  Those kind of things happen all the time.  They can happen in an instant.

We do dumb things, we drop something, we loose our balance, and we break things we love.

Glass shatters.

Glass breaks.

Sometimes we do that with our life. 

We loose our balance, we forget things, and we break things we love.

We break. 

But just like glass breaks, glass also shines.

Glass reflects beautiful light. 

The shadows and reflections of the glass are often determined by the light that is let though.

After breaking that glass lid, I was sad. 

I didn’t let it get to me.  I just picked up the pieces and put a beautiful glass teapot in it’s place and moved on.

 photo Glass-0038_zps4efc68e0.jpg

This got me thinking about people. 

I have been in love with a song for quite sometime that refers to people as glass.  I believe this to be true.

There are moments in all of our lives when we shine. 

There are also moments when we shatter.

How many times, have I picked up the pieces from something broken and replaced the heartache with a new piece of glass.

That’s what God wants us to do.  He wants us to pick ourselves up, learn from it, and become a better, prettier version of ourselves.

paris-decor-fleur-de-lis-cross-stained-glass-window

image source

It’s like we are creating a beautiful piece of stained glass; piece by piece.

Here on my blog, I share my thoughts about mothering, cooking, scrapbooking, and fun projects we are doing.

Most of the time, I don’t share how I burned the brownies, or forgot to send the snack to school, or.. or… or…

I am here to tell you that I am a very real mother.  I break, and I shatter.  I make mistakes, and I falter.

I hope the rest of you do too.  I hope that you have to say your sorry and repent. 

That’s what makes us good mothers.

Good mothers learn from their mistakes.

Good mothers say they are sorry.

Good mothers know when it is time to let something go; and pick up the pieces.

We can’t always be on top of our game. 

We can’t always have perfection.

I have been asked a lot:  “How do you do it all?”

I don’t.

For example, Monday, I did a sewing project all. day. long.

 photo IMG_2819_zps7f5b3e80.jpg

I shared these photos of that on Instagram.

  photo IMG_2825_zps24ecf4e9.jpg

What I didn’t share is that I didn’t make dinner, and Tess watched Dora most of the afternoon.

Does that make me a bad mother?

No.  Because I can’t do it all.

I can’t shine all day long, in every area of life.

I can however, let little pieces of light shine, and not beat myself up because there are a few shadows.

Sometimes letting the light through can make us vulnerable. 

The light allows others to see our imperfections and our cracks.

We all have our moments to shine.  We all have moments when we fail.

If there is anything I have learned as a mother; it is wise not to compare my stained glass window to another's, because no two can be the same.

As mothers, we would all do well to remember that we are glass.

We will all shine, and we will all break.

We can’t do it all, and we shouldn’t.

We can love one another, help one another, and find the good in one another.

We should focus on the beautiful reflections of light, and less on the imperfections.

We would do well to remember this of others, but most importantly of ourselves.

We should love ourselves and be proud of our beautiful reflections.

I stumbled upon this song a year or so ago. 

I have always loved the words.  It is about a couple and their relationship.

I like to think about it as people and who we are becoming.

Enjoy the words.

Glass by Thompson Square

Trying to live in love, with a heart that can’t be broken

Is  like trying to see the light, with eyes that can’t be open

We all carry baggage, we picked up on our way

So if you love me do it gently, and I will do the same.

We may shine, we may shatter,

We may be picking up the pieces here on after,

We are fragile, we are human,

We are shaped by the light we let through us,

We break fast, cause we are glass.

I’ll let you look inside me, through the stains and through the cracks,

and in the darkness of this moment,

You see the good and bad,

But try not to judge me, cause we’ve walked down different paths,

But it brought us here together, so I won’t take that back.

We may shine, we may shatter,

We may be picking up the pieces here on after,

We are fragile, we are human,

We are shaped by the light we let through us,

We break fast, cause we are glass.

“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which art in heaven.”  Matthew 5:16

shine cr

Click on image to download for your own printable and reminder.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Sister! And thanks for helping me out yesterday when I dropped the ball.

JPAmom said...

I love this post!! I often times too think we are mirrors....mirroring the imperfections we point out in others. I hope I see the beauty and reflect that! I bought myself a bracelet for Mother's Day that says "There is no way to be a perfect mother, but a million ways to be a good one." :)

Creative Cole said...

Thank you. You said it perfectly.

piece of mind said...

thank you for the inspiring post!
somehow, with God's wil, you inspired me to move on with life...
in fact you've inspired me in many ways with all your post...i am one of your silent reader :)

Jo Jo said...

This is beautiful! What a wonderful analogy...I love that you shared this song. I have a friend that sent this to me months ago and I still hadn't listened to it. Love it!

Jacque said...

I needed this today. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and this sweet song.

Sindy said...

Thank you! Loved the post :)

Krysta said...

Great post and so true! Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Savanna said...

Great Post! Thanks for sharing. I really loved it and needed to hear it. You are so awesome. I have always looked up to you and admired you. Thanks for sharing that you are "real". :)

Jessica said...

Um, I'm pretty sure you are my new best friend. Thank you for writing what you have written and being who you are. You sure have helped me out with your words and thoughts. Thank you!

Pam said...

I don't think I had ever listened to th words of that song before. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails