Wednesday, December 15, 2010

On my mind…

When I think about this month, I try to think about all the memories and traditions that we uphold.  I feel like my mind is always multi-tasking.  Wrapping, mailing, buying, spending time, giving hugs, snuggles, kisses and time.  As a mother, we multi-task all the time but, Christmas just seems to make it worse.

I recently read an article, it can be found here.  I wish that I would have read it before the holidays started.  It certainly helped change the way I feel about all we try to squeeze in this month.  So often I find myself just rushing so I can just get it done.  When really I should be taking my time enjoying the things I choose to do.

We are taking the time to slow down and enjoy.  What have I been up to lately?

Today, I am still in my PJ’s.  I have been playing and snuggling with Isaac all day. 

I chose not to deep clean my house this week, and make treats instead.

We had a great night of fondue and laughter.

We drove around to look at the lights together and buy gifts for each other.

I had a great girls night out with some of my girlfriends.  It was like happy medicine.  We laughed and laughed.

I am thankful that my kids are realizing that Christmas really isn’t about a day.  It is about the feeling that you feel for a whole month.  I remember loving that feeling when I was a child.  I remember one Christmas in particular that the magic of the holiday was so strong.  I remember it starting for me on Thanksgiving day, and each day after that was wonderful.  I remember making decorations for my room, going sledding, and helping deliver treats for our neighbors.

Now, as a mother, I realize how much work that was for my parents.  I have begun to understand their sacrifice a little more.

When I begin to get overwhelmed, I seem to get a little anxious.  I have found a good prayer helps me organize my thoughts and helps the anxiety go away.

Right now, I am enjoying Isaac so much.  Even though he can throw fits with the best of them, I have begun to understand that he is animated in everything he does.  His fits are a little over the top, but that means that his love, smiles, and excitement are too.

He gets excited about the smallest things.

When he is excited, his face just lights up. 

He also says the funniest things.

Yesterday when I asked him if he loved his family he said, “Yes, I love you mommy.”  I said, “do you love Jex?”  He said, “No, He kind of stinks.”  (I had been teasing Jex the other morning that he had bad breath. I think Isaac heard me.)

One evening he was crying in his bed.  I went in his room and asked him what was wrong.  He said, “my bed.”  I said, “what is wrong with your bed?”  He replied, “it is freakin me out.”

I have really been enjoying my Christmas lights.  It has been fun having them on the bushes this year.  I love walking outside at night and seeing them. 

blurry lighs outside cr

light post cr

entryway cr

I also enjoy my wreath that I gave a little facelift.  Isn’t it fun.

wreath on door cr

…and the wreaths on m windows.

wreaths on windows cr

I love coming home to our home at Christmas.  I also love walking into our home at Christmas.

My entry way table makes me smile.  I am so glad that I decided to hang this Merry Christmas Banner here.

entry way cr

glass on entry cr

 

I have been worried that I am going to gain 20 pounds over the holidays with all the yummy treats.  AHHH!!  I did however find a treadmill at the goodwill this week for $65.  It felt so good to climb on it and go for a run yesterday.

When my mind is swimming there is nothing better then a nice run.

 

Over Thanksgiving, Jonathan and I slept in Tessa’s room with her while our company was here.  Our plan was for him to sleep on an air mattress on the floor while I slept in Stella’s twin size bed.  We were so tired the first night that we just ended up sleeping together in a twin size bed. 

DSC_0195

Now that is love.  For the rest of the weekend we snuggled up in a twin size bed.  I have never been more comfy.  King size beds are not for me.  After 11 1/2 years I still like to snuggle.

Tessa and I have been sick for 3 weeks.  I am sick of being sick.  I am thankful for my loving husband who has to be a doctor at work and one at home.  He helped take care of me all day on Sunday. Now today, I still don’t feel  100% and he can prescribe something for me.  There is so much to be thankful for.  I hate being sick, but I am blessed.

…and that is what is on my mind.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

last night was a much needed evening! I'm glad you are taking it easy today! Love your wreath!

Krysta said...

I hope you are feeling better now. I finally am. I agree with you about the magic of Christmas. SO much to do as a parent!! I wish I had more energy this month. I am missing out and need to make up for it. I love your wreath.

KW said...

Isaac is SO funny. That kid is a crack up. You are right, he is so much like Luke.

I love the wreath too!

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

What a GREAT post! What your little one said about his bed made me chuckle!

Love the wreath!

I've kind of let the season slip by BUT I'm on vacation as of Friday and I have BIG plans to enjoy every ounce of the season that I can.

Kendra aka "Domestic Princess in Training"

Michelle said...

Exactly what I need to hear yesterday when I read this. Thank you, Andrea. I would love to read the article you mentioned - the link isn't coming up for me.
I love that you use your gifts to show love to everyone around you. I am blessed to be your friend!

Dave and Lindsay said...

I want to read that article you read, but there is no link when I try to click. Love this post!

Boyd said...

Andrea, your house and Christmas decor looks AMAZING! So beautiful, warm and inviting. If you are EVER in southern california, please please let me know, you could come decorate my house and take pics of our family!! You are so talented!
Merry Christmas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails