Friday, April 23, 2010

What I have learned Thursday...

Tonight, I had to take my turn to volunteer at the Baseball Concession stand. 

I just had to inquire about one of the items on the menu.

"What the heck is a Frito Pie?"

"You don't know what a Frito Pie is?"

"Where are you from?"

"Utah."

"What kind of things do you eat in Utah? Well we don't eat a whole lot of grease and we don't fry as much as they do here. I had never heard of Sweet Tea until I moved here, and I  know I don't recall seeing Frito Pie on the menu.  So what is it?"

"Wait, you don't eat grease?"

"No we eat some, but I try to avoid it."

"How do you avoid it?" 

"Well, when I cook ground beef, I rinse it."

"You rinse it?"

"Yeah, in hot water."

"What do you mean in hot water?"

"Well, I put it in a colander and run hot water over it.  Then, I wipe the grease out of my pan with a paper towel.  Then, I add the meat back to the pan."

"Really?  I had no idea you could do that, and it gets rid of the fat?"

"Yes, most of it...So what is a Frito Pie?"

"Fritos, with cheese and chili over the top.  You see, here in the South we like to keep it simple."

Tonight, I learned two more interesting things I didn't know about the South.

One: Fritos, cheese and chili are a meal.

Two: Meals should be kept simple.

I will add that to my ever increasing pot of Southern Culture. 

I must stock more fritos, chili and processed cheese on my pantry shelf.  Along with the jar of bacon grease that I heard is a must to have around when you need to liven up your vegetables a little bit.

I love learning about different cultures, don't you.  Isn't it neat how we can take the same ingredients but make something completely different out of them.

I like living in the South. I think my kids will too when they find out that Fritos are a meal.

I love all you Southern friends.  Thanks for showing me a new side to life.

chowlead-magnum-500

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

your so cute andrea!! i have never had a frito pie i dont really care for chili all that much. let us know what the kids think of it.

Ashlee said...

I HAVE had Frito Pie. Ate a lot when we lived in Texas..actually I had it last week when I was at my mom's house. I have a hard time calling it a 'meal' as for lack of nutrition.. I try to put some lettuce over it..and maybe ranch dressing..ranch goes with everything right?! it doesn't look so appetizing, but it tastes great! Anyway! Yeah for the SOUTH!! I love it!

KW said...

Oh my! That is too funny. Gotta love it.

Anonymous said...

That's too funny. I had the same conversation the other day explaining it to the locals who couldn't believe southerns pass that off as a meal!! I on the other hand couldn't believe you could rinse meat until I was questioned about NOT doing that. I enjoy your blog.

Anonymous said...

I started reading your blog when I found you on Nester... or maybe it was Just a Girl? Can't remember, but you crack me up!!! Rinsing your ground beef sounds so totally weird to me, and I have NEVER known life without some good 'ole Frito Pie!!! =) My grandmother would roll over in her grave if she knew ANYONE cooked without bacon grease, and don't you eat fried okra, fried pickles, fried squash or anything else you can coat with extra fattn' batter and fry 'er up real good like? hee hee (Honestly I don't speak like that... most of the time now ya'll).
~Jennifer (a born and raised Southern gal from the Great State of Texas!)

Christal said...

Soooo funny! I LUUUUUVVVVV the South! My dad's entire famly is from south-south TX...where they eat lotsa fried hamburger, gumbo and bacon grease ALWAYS goes in the green beans! ENJOY! :)

Amanda said...

I learned last year that not every American knew what a frito chili pie was when we had the missionaries drop by one night and we were having leftover chili in the form of frito chili pie. You Utah people are different LOL

Krysta said...

Funny!! It's a different culture in the South. I can just picture you having that conversation in the snack bar. :)

The Dooley Family said...

Haha that's awesome! I could totally see you having that conversation!

I've heard of frito pie, but i'm not a big fritos fan, so it doesn't appeal to me much!

When I moved to Idaho I learned that a baked potato isn't a side dish, but a main course! Of course, the way they load up those huge potatoes, it makes sense! :o)

Michelle said...

Cute, Andrea! Now you just need to try fried pickles dipped in Ranch. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails