Friday, February 26, 2010

Fabric.

Where do you get your fabric?

Of course I am a lover of Amy Butler, and Heather Bailey.  I so wish I could afford a piece of every style... but I can't.

"Sew" when I am in the mood to Sew(and can't afford my favorites), I rummage through my closet, the thrift store, or my MIL's stash.

This week, I made a skirt and a dress from a shirt of mine.

This was the shirt.shirt

Here is the dress:

Storyboard Green Dress

and the back:

Back

I wish I could tell you how I did it, but I can't.

This was a complete experiment.  I basically cut along all the seams.  Placed it on Stella, and used pins to mark where I needed to sew.  I used the extra fabric for the ties in the back.  Top of Dress

Then I used the sleeves for this little diddy:skirt

The sleeves already had a gather around them.  I cut apart the seam, and sewed the two together.  That is the top of the skirt.  Then I made one more out of the rest of the sleeve.

ruffles

I then sewed the skirt on to a pair of pants that were to short.  I cut them off just above the legs, and then added the skirt.

pants

Once I finished, I added a few embellishments, and had a few small scraps left from my shirt.  I basically used every scrap.

Doesn't she look like a babe?

Tessa Babe

I have also been making some baby legs.  I found some adult socks on clearance at Target.  Tessa has more baby legs then one could ever wear.

I am all about the accessories.

Baby Legs

Remember to shop your closet for fabric.  There may be something in there that you could use to make another item.

Like a sweater that would make fabulous pillows.

For example:  I have a skirt that I am going to make pillows out of.

Here are 3 tutorials:

Baby Boy Gown out of Fathers T-shirt

Girls dress out of mother's t-shirt

Baby Legs

P.S.  These  Robins have been in our yard all week.  In the morning, and then again at dinner.  Like 8-10 at a time. It is so fun bird watching.

 Robin 2

 

 

10 comments:

Beth Curtis said...

I love it! You are so creative! I have been saving up my clothes that I would usually take to D.I. but I haven't been inspired yet. So I just have a huge pile. :)

Lindsey Jensen said...

I am so jealous!!! I wish I could be half as creative as you and if I only knew how to sew!!!

~Amy Rose said...

I came across your blog a few days ago...after seeing your gorgeous bedroom re-do on Just a Girl's blog. I am so happy I did!! Love the dress projct...What a creative idea! Love the green! Can I also ask you what digital scrap site or program you use?? I love all your photos....you and your family is precious!

Emily said...

OK, Tessa is a babe! What a darling outfit! Your so creative! Very, very cute.

Dave and Lindsay said...

Why the heck are you so creative? I really need you to teach me a LOT!! I am just amazed that you just put both of those together without any pattern or anything. You are amazing!

Carry Grace said...

How incredibly adorable, if only I had a little girl. I may have to make some of those leg warmers for baby boy. Very cute!

Unknown said...

that is amazing! so inspired, thanks for sharing!

Jenn said...

Genius!! I need to dust off my sewing machine and get to work...you have inspired me yet again!
When your best friend comes to town and if you alter some jewelry, you have to promise to post your creations!!
Have a great day!!

Krysta said...

So cute! That was a perfect shirt to use. The green looks so good on both of them. I want to make some baby legs when I'm there. Did I already tell you that?? Are you making a list for me yet???

The Dooley Family said...

I think you should check out the blog Make It And Love It. (makeitandloveit.blogspot.com) She repurposes everything! She just moved so she has all these tutorials, step-by-step, of how she decorated her house. I don't know how she has the time, but it looks just like your style! :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails