Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Telling our Story.

About a month ago, I was asked to speak at a church event.  The event was about record keeping, and my portion was about blogging.  I immediately thought, “I have been a horrible blogger lately.”  Then I thought, “I am passionate about the subject of telling our story; I can do this.”

This event reminded me of the importance of telling our story.  There are so many ways to share your story; pictures, journals, scrapbooks, blogs, letters, and even email.

I don’t want to give up on story telling.  Although my life has gotten much busier, and time for blogging is become more and more infrequent; I WON’T GIVE UP.  We can’t give up on the things we find important.

The night before I spoke at this event, I stumbled on this quote:

story

It is so true. If we really knew people’s story we could understand them and love them more deeply. 

So here I am today sneaking in a little bit of time to tell a story.

Stories of events that I don’t want to forget.

We had a great spring break. (I know it is summer and I will move on to summer soon.  I just don’t want to forget about spring break)

I was still trying to recover from my many surgeries; but wanted to make the week memorable for the kids.

We decided to go to my parents for the week.

The favorite of the week was our trip to classic skating.

 photo ClassicSkating--15bw_zpsea6272ef.jpg

Remember when we were kids and we went to the local skating rink on the weekend.  We paid our .25 cents to rent our skates, and we be-bopped around the rink to the greatest hits of the 80’s?

Well now instead of skates, kids ride rip-sticks and scooters around the rink.  They are still rolling around and around to the hits of today.

It brought back memories for me.

 photo Newfolder_zpsdba56966.jpg

These pictures even look a little retro with the neon lights in the background.

It makes me wish I had some leg warmers and neon t-shirts of my own to wear.

I am amazed at how good my older kids are on these rip-sticks.  It looks like so much fun.

 photo ClassicSkating--21_zps556f73c7.jpg

In fact, I secretly want to take a ride on them. I must admit I have tried; but fail ever time.

The best part of Spring Break was spending the week with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.

It’s been a long time since a Spring Break included family.

…and that’s part of the story that I want to remember.

I remember being so grateful that day that I was sharing these moments with my sisters and their kids.

 photo ClassicSkating--3_zps96df7505.jpg

My heart about melted to the floor watching Tess and Luke slow dance(with my favorite being London in the back watching.)

I’m grateful for the moments, 80’s music, my own skating rink memories, and my family.

These are the stories I don’t want to forget.

…and that’s why I write them down.

5 comments:

Leslie Posey said...

I too have tried the rip stick and failed!! I think their is an age limit!! Maybe 20yrs or somewhere around there!

Eileen said...

I'm so glad you blog.

KW said...

I'm so glad you guys are close! It has been so fun being able to see you guys so much more than before.

Stella said...

I am catching up with reading and I really love being here. There is always something inspiring and encouraging in your posts. It's wonderful to read that you are feeling better. It has been a very busy period for you after you moved back to Utah. And being ill with lots of surgery, pain and worries. I am thankful that you are here again. Your life is busy and I think nobody is expecting to see you here on a daily or weekly base. Blogging is time consuming.....I love to read your blog but never ever feel obligated to post. You and your family are important; blogging can wait:)Thanks for sharing pieces of your life with us.
XX

Becky said...

Looks like fun times!! I also have been a terrible blogger lately but vow not to give up! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails