Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A new way to dye your eggs.

Ok. I know Easter has passed.  This is coming to you a little late.

But… just pin it for next year.

Each year, along with hard-boiling eggs, I also blow the yolk out of some eggs to dye for Easter.

 photo Easter2013-0477_zps4226c99e.jpg

This is a fun way to preserve your dyed eggs and use them for holiday decorating.

 photo EasterDecor2013-0181_zps850bfedf.jpg

I admit that I have been carting dyed eggs across this country for ten years.

The first time I did this was with a friend when Jex was a baby.  I still have some of those eggs.

They look beautiful in a bowl at Easter time.  I even have eggs with my kids names and year on them.

 photo EasterDecor2013-0179_zpsede056b1.jpg 

It is so fun to put them out each year.

 photo EasterDecor2013-0182_zpsd99de9f2.jpg

This year was no different.  We did it again. 

However; I did it a little different. 

Along with white eggs, I also blew the yolk out of some brown eggs.

   photo Easter2013-0481_zpsf00cee09.jpg

I wanted to have some eggs with a more muted color scheme.

  photo Easter2013-0489_zpsbb0ad0b5.jpg

I loved the way they turned out.

Want to make your own?

Start by washing your eggs (brown or white) and dry them off.

Use a safety pin to poke a hole in one end of your egg.  It takes several holes to make the whole large enough.  You want the hole to be small, but also large enough to blow the yolk through.  I would say smaller than a pea, but larger than a pencil lead.(you can see my holes in the pictures, that will give you a good idea)

Do the same thing on the other end of the egg.  Once you have two holes, blow out the yolk into a bowl.  You have to blow hard and it can be quite time consuming.

If you are careful, you can use the yolks as scrambled eggs.  You have to be careful that you don’t blow any shells in there.

Wash the inside of the egg out by running water through both holes and let it dry.  If you wash it well, you will be able to keep these eggs for a long time.

Once they are dry, they are ready to dye.

 photo Easter2013-0398_zpse14e6695.jpg

Dye like normal.  They do tend to float to the top so sometimes you have to hold them down with a spoon.  You can also spoon the dye over the egg.

 photo Easter2013-0399_zpsdba4a892.jpg

Make sure to shake all the dye out the holes before you place them in an egg carton to dry.

 photo Easter2013-0406_zpsc981f10a.jpg

Once the dye is dry, you can put them out in a pretty bowl to use as a centerpiece for your Easter dinner.

 photo Easter2013-0484_zps6660ee84.jpg

I also use mine as a decoration for the holiday.

I am really excited about how fun the colors turned out with my brown eggs.

 photo Easter2013-0486_zps123af526.jpg 

Some of my brown eggs were speckled and I just love how they look.

If you want to save these eggs for holiday decorating, store them in egg cartons and they will stay in tact.  Trust me.  I have moved mine all over this way and they haven’t cracked on me yet.

Sorry for the late post about Easter egg dyeing but hopefully you can plan ahead and do try this fun technique next year.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How delicate are the eggs after the yolk is blown out?

Jerri-Lea said...

I too have been "blowing out eggs" for years! My girls LOVE when spring comes and we pull out our Easter eggs from years past! We just store them in egg cartons in our holiday bins in the garage. We've only broken 2 (and that's only because they got dropped on the wood floor).

Related Posts with Thumbnails