Thursday, March 22, 2012

What I have learned Thursday… Staying in!

This week is our spring break.  I was beginning to feel a little bummed at the end of last week thinking that we wouldn’t be going anywhere.  Jonathan has always had to work during spring break.  On a couple of occasions, I have gone with the kids to Utah.  This year, we decided to stay put, and I am so grateful.

What have I learned… That staying home makes for a great vacation. Most of the time there are plenty of great things to do at home, and locally. When kids are in school, you don’t always get time for the everyday. We have found that to be true and have had such a great time so far just doing the everyday stuff. In fact, I can’t wait for summer break.  I also can’t wait to share all that we have done this week.  I am sure you will think they are simple, lazy things, but I am grateful for the last few memories that we are creating together in this house and in Arkansas.

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (28 of 45)cr

We decided to start our week out by visiting our favorite place.  I knew this would be the last time we made a visit to Garvin Gardens.  You may remember what it looked like in December?  Our favorite place to tour the Christmas lights:

Garvin Gardens1

This is what it looks like in the spring:

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (25 of 45cr)

(beautiful flowers, beautiful kids with crazy smiles; when will they out grow that?)

Here is a picture of the kids at Garvin Gardens last Spring:

Last Spring cr

Oh, my they have grown!!

I know Garvin Gardens will always be a special memory for the kids.

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (9 of 45)cr

For the last two years, we have gone with a couple of friends.  Here are all the kids together.  It isn’t easy to get a decent shot of this rowdy bunch.

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (7 of 45)cr

I am so thankful for these last few months to spend with our good friends.  I am grateful we stayed home for Spring Break.  I am thankful that I realized what a great stay-cation this could be.

The highlight of the day was the kids picking me flowers.  Here is little miss following along:

Flower collage CR

Isaac made sure that I got a nice picture of him in front of the pretty flowers; always thinking of his crazy photographer mother.

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (6 of 45) cr

Jex loves really cool rocks, so we had to get a picture of him with this totally tubular rock.(he would be so embarrassed to hear me talk in my 80’s lingo.)

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (5 of 45) cr

It was so nice to realize that we can still see and do really neat things at home.

Look at how beautiful it is here already. 

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (26 of 45)cr

Spring has sprung in the South!!

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (27 of 45)cr

I decided that I am going to have one of these trees in my yard when we own our next home:

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (20 of 45)cr

I even asked around and learned it’s name is the Snowball tree.  Don’t they remind you of hydrangeas?  I also found out that they will grow in any climate; they just like shade.

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (19 of 45)cr

Garvin Gardens is not only full of really neat flower gardens, but it is also a great place to get the kids to work their energy out.

There is lots of walking.  I love it.

They love feeding the fish.  They all tried to touch them.  Ewww.  Gross!!

Garvin Gardens Spring Break

They enjoyed playing in the water falls.

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (21 of 45)cr

Including Tess, She loved sitting with her feet in the water.

Garvin Gardens Spring Break4

Their favorite part is always the natural playground.  They enjoy climbing and running around.

Garvin Gardens Spring Break1

Jex even enjoyed chasing the girls; Stella and her friend.  AHHH!! and so it begins.

Garvin Gardens Spring Break2

We also ran into one of Jex’s best friends from school.  Jex was so excited to see him; we just had to take a picture.

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (22 of 45cr)

…and the newest addition to our group of kids slept most of the way.

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (23 of 45)cr

This is Tessa’s new best friend.  A lot of my friends are having babies right now, so Tess is in heaven.

What a beautiful day, and beautiful reminder that you don’t have to go away on vacation to appreciate a little break.

Garvin Gardens Spring Break (24 of 45cr)

Stay tuned for more of our awesome spring break.  I will share more tomorrow.  We have had great fun at home too; just wait and see.

I hope you can find a little break of your own, and make some fun just staying in.

10 comments:

Beth Curtis said...

what a beautiful place! I want one of those trees too! Too bad I don't have ANY shade haha. What great memories.

lovingmomma @ Happy As A Lark said...

We did the same thing. Stayed home,cleaned organized, watched movies & hung out together for Spring Break & it was wonderful. Sometimes the simple things bring so much pleasure!! I can't wait to have my kids home all summer either!!

Krysta said...

The stay-cations are my favorite! Very fun pictures. I love the flowers! I wish we had tulips around here. They are beautiful. So are your kids smiles. The one you commented on made me laugh! I love those kids.

Our Little Hatch Family !!! said...

Wow it is really gorgeous, I have forgotten about the Gardens, and how beautiful they are this time of year! It looks like you all had a great time! Hope you enjoy the remainder of your Spring Break!

Unknown said...

I'm glad we got to go with you one more time. I love the pix of Jex chasing the girls :)

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

Staying in is fun! Looks like y'all were blessed with the perfect weather that day!

Okay I am in love with the yellow tulips! I recently visited our local garden which does a huge tulip display. They had tons of beautiful tulips but no yellow...ahh so pretty! Yellow is my favorite color!


I don't know why it never clicked with me that you live in Arkansas. I've been reading your blog for a long time. We took a little trip to Arkansas last fall so I could photograph the beautiful foliage. If I would have thought about it I would have seen if you wanted to meet for coffee! We are planning to go back this year.

Happy Friday!

Kendra aka "Domestic Princess in Training"

Amber said...

My husband proposed to me on the rock by the waterfall. Garvin Gardens is a special place for us!

Bailey said...

Love the pic of Jex at the top of the waterfall and the girls at the bottom. Maddy makes the goofiest faces in her pics, such a goober. We're glad you came!

The Beaumonts said...

Viburnum is the real name of the "Snowball Tree" just FYI :)

The Beaumonts said...

Viburnum is the real name of the "Snowball Tree" just FYI :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails