Friday, September 2, 2011

Back to School Blessings

I had hoped that I would be able to post everyday this week, but real life always happens and changes my plans.  We have all had the stomach bug this week.  It started with Tess on Sunday and worked it’s way down; including my own little tummy.  It was miserable.  I spent yesterday playing catch up. There was no time for the computer, but I appreciate that.  I can appreciate life, because I enjoy taking care of my family.

I am wrapping up this back to school week with a story about an important family tradition, and how a little 2 year old has taught me an important lesson.  Before I share; here is a little eye candy.  The kids back to school scrapbook pages:

First day of school Jex and Stella copy

First day os school Jex and Stella 2 copy

First day of Preschool Isaac copy

First day of Preschool Isaac 2 copy

If you missed anything this week, you can continue on to the next posts to hear all about our family going back to school.

{Blessings}

Before each school year, my husband gives each of the children a blessing.  In our church, we believe in priesthood blessings. I am thankful that my husband is able to give advice, council and guidance through the priesthood.  I know that it helps to comfort the kiddos before they go off to school.  It helps me when I think about them being away from home, and around outside influence.

A leader in our church says this about Priesthood blessings:

What is the significance of a priesthood blessing? Think of a young man preparing to leave home to seek his fortune in the world. If his father gave him a compass, he might use this worldly tool to help him find his way. If his father gave him money, he could use this to give him power over worldly things. A priesthood blessing is a conferral of power over spiritual things. Though it cannot be touched or weighed, it is of great significance in helping us overcome obstacles on the path to eternal life.
-Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Every year, the spirit in our home is so strong as he blesses each of our children.  I love hearing the advice and guidance for the year. 

Isaac was the first to have his blessing.  This will be his first year of school, so his first school blessing.  I listened as he was told to be independent. I was comforted as he was told that his teacher would be sensitive to how he learned.  Jex was reminded that he has been blessed with a smart mind and to use it.  He was told that #1 in life is how you treat others.  It was so nice to hear that Stella should be a helper.  That she should be aware of who needs extra help, and offer it.  I cried when she was told that school will help prepare her as a mother.

And then the sweetest thing happened….

After the school age kids had received their blessings, Tess just stood there.  Looking up at her dad with longing eyes. Eyes that said, “is it my turn now?”  And so Jonathan gave Tess a blessing.  I had tears rolling down my cheeks as she was told to learn from her mother.  That this one on one time would bless her.  She was reminded that she is a special part of our family. 

…and she is.  I am so thankful that we have this tradition in our family of back to school blessings.  I am so thankful that Tess wanted her own blessing.  It was a good reminder to me of the responsibilities I have to her while the other kids are away.  It is not my free time.  This time will bless her.  I am grateful to have this one on one time with her.

Tess is such a sweet girl.  One of her gifts is her ability to make you stop and slow down.  There is nothing she loves more then cuddling on your lap. 

Today, I was in the shower and heard her start crying really hard.  For you to fully understand her, you have to know that she cries hard really easily.  She is very sensitive, and gets easily embarrassed.  She also worries, and is cautious around other people.  She has made me stop and understand her insecurities.  I got out of the shower, and I could not figure out why she was crying.  She just wanted to be held.  So still wrapped in my towel, I sat down in my rocking chair and just comforted her.  She is still crying.  I still have no idea why, but I am rocking her.  I am shushing her, and she slowly calms down.  When I begin rubbing her back, she stops completely.  We rocked and snuggled for 20 minutes.  When I would stop rubbing her back, she would whimper a little.  She would then take my hand, and put it on her back.  All the while, her head is nuzzled in to my neck.  This is not uncommon for her.  It doesn’t always start with a crying session, but it begins with her putting her arms in the air as if to say hold me.  When I do, it always end with a reward for me.  Time to snuggle with this little girl.  As I rocked her today, I realized that this is the one on one time that she needs.  And then I realized that the our cuddles might really be for me.

She is the fourth child of a very busy family.  I am so thankful that she uses her voice to stop me.  Her gift is her ability to make me slow down, and realize what a gift it is to have four beautiful children. These are the times that I am reminded that they are growing up.  Tessa may not always nuzzle her head in my neck…and then who will.  She is the last of my babies.  On many occasions after I have snuggled with her, I find myself going to hug and kiss each of the children.

Thank you Tess for reminding me what a gift it is to be a mother.  For reminding me that I should take the time for more affection.

I am thankful for you, and the blessings that reminded me of just how important our one on one time is.  Our time always gives me a greater glimpse of what being a mother is supposed to be all about.  I didn’t know that a 2 year old could teach a 33 year old such an important life lesson.  I guess that is why God gives us children.

…and in honor of Tess this week; here are a few scrapbook pages I made of her this week. And a challenge to stop and snuggle those you love just a little more.

Speaking of blessings; this is a page of her birth blessing.

tessa Blessing Day copy

Tessa Blessing Day 2 copy

Tessa 3 months copyTessa 3 months 2 copy

3 months copy

Tess 3 month2 copy

Tessa November photo shoot 1 copy

Tessa November photo shoot 2 copy

7 comments:

Unknown said...

such a sweet post! isn't it amazing how our children have a way of teaching us!?! i love that about parenting.

Beth Curtis said...

that is the sweetest post! Oh sweet Tessa. I always think about how "in 10 years I won't be able to do this any more". It is a little depressing but it helps me take in the moment.

The Dooley Family said...

I had a religion teacher tell our class once that that little moment, when the school blessings have all been given and the youngest jumps up for a turn, is the sweetest moment in parenting. I'm hoping it will happen in my family one day :o)

Letti said...

I loved this post. It makes me stop and think about my own kids and if I am doing enough. Tessa sounds like such a sweet girl. You have a beautiful family.

Darlene said...

I'm sitting here crying as I read this! Such a beautiful post, Andrea :). Thanks for reminding me to slow down.

Brunson's said...

I loved your post. Thanks. It is so wonderful to be a mother. Jaman was able to give Taylor a blessing and Bridger did the same thing and asked if he could have one. Such a sweet and tender moment. I am enjoying our one on one time. I have never been able to have that with Bridger yet.

Krysta said...

I really love the quote by Elder Dallin H. Oaks. Perfect! We are so lucky to have the Preisthood in our home and to have children to remind us what life is really all about. Thank you for reminding me that it is a gift to want to hug and cuddle and slow down.

Related Posts with Thumbnails