Wednesday, April 13, 2011

And the winner is….

Have you ever heard the saying, “I need a vacation from my vacation?”  Well that never happens for the Swenson Family.  With four kids there is always something going on.

In fact, while we were on vacation, Jonathan was building Jex’s very first pinewood derby car.

This was not Jonathan’s first rodeo.  He was once a cub scout, so he knew exactly what to do.

I was so impressed as I watched him cut a shape that was so sleek and fast looking.  Then he sanded for days, prepped the wheels, and added some weight.  It took a lot of work but he got it just right.  Jex’s car came in weighing 4.9 ounces.  Just under the 5 ounce limit.

I have never been to a derby before.  I grew up with all sisters so scouts is a new road for me.  I tried to help in any way that I could.  I put in a good effort and offered to help paint it.

I spent the day painting it.  I painted it silver with an orange V down the center top.  The sides had these great bright yellow racing stripes.  It was awesome.

Jonathan came home from work and finished while I was out playing chauffer. (Wedednesday’s are so busy for us.  Stella has dance right after school, and then we head straight to boy scouts.)  While he was finishing up the car, he used some graphite that messed up the paint completely.  He called me in a panic and was just sick to his stomach.  I told him not to worry and just hurry and paint it with some spray paint. I knew that the paint wasn’t going to matter so much.  It was all the neat things Jonathan had done that was really going to make the car go.

In the meantime, It dawned on me that they may have changed the time of the race.  I don’t know why this came to my mind, other than I am sure Heavenly Father planted a little seed.  I quick told Jonathan to call Jex’s leader.  YES!! They were having the derby at 6:00, instead of 7:00 like normal weeks.  That means it starts in 20 minutes.  I was still at dance with Stella so I would have to meet him there with Jex.  The wheels still were not on, and the new paint still had to dry.

AHHH!!!

Jonathan worked really quickly and was so worried because he felt like it wasn’t just how he wanted it.

….but guess what.  Jex had a blast.  Jonathan loved putting it together and….

Winner

Jex still won.  #13 could not be beat.

derby car 2

race

Derby 2  Derby 3

We had a great night. 

Derby 1

Jex got a really neat award that his leader, Brother Friend pinned to his scout shirt.

award

Have I mentioned how much Jex loves scouts?  I am grateful he has a great program to be a part of.

scout

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Congrats to Jex...how wonderful. My grandson won first in his division in Missouri!!

emily said...

Way to go Jex!!

Simply Domestic said...

How exciting for Jex! I love last picture of him saluting. Precious!

Darlene said...

Congrats Jex!

Related Posts with Thumbnails