Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Obedience

As the CEO of the Swenson Family, I am often bombarded with thoughts on how to make this family run smoother.  I also have thoughts and ideas of what I want to accomplish as a mother, truths I want my kids to know, and responsibilities that I have to find time for. 

To be honest, It can all make my mind swim a bit.

This last week, my mind has been doing just that.  I have been trying to figure out how I will squeeze in all the little extra’s that I feel are important for our family.

For example:

I want to bake more with the kids.  I want them to enjoy yummy homemade treats(which I don’t like to make because I eat them), but I don’t want to deprive the kids of that experience.  I also want them to help and learn how to be in the kitchen.

I want to spend time playing more games.

I need to make time to sit down with Jex and help him accomplish his scouting and Faith in God responsibilities.

I am also struggling with finding the appropriate time for our Family Scripture Study.

Sometimes my mind becomes overwhelmed and guilt ridden with what I need to find time for. 

Several years ago, a leader in our church talked about separating good tasks in to good, better, and best.(go here to read entire talk)

He said, “We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families.”  Dallin H. Oaks (2007)

He gives examples such as, it is good to hold a meeting, even better to teach a principle, and best to improve lives as a result of that meeting.

His talk led me to think about our own little family meeting.  As Mormons, we like to call this Family Home Evening.  We have set aside one night a week to be home, and share time with one another.

As a family, we have been working hard to do this.  We have set aside Monday evenings to be with one another.

I have to admit that I have been flying by the seat of my pants for the last 2 years.  I have gone in to our family meeting completely unprepared.  I decided that I am no longer going to do that.

I plan to make our Family time the BEST I can; our family deserves it.

And because this is a family meeting, I am making sure each person has a responsibility.  I have strived for this in that past, but have never really followed through. 

So in order to do so, Stella and I set out on a little project.  We made a new updated Family Home Evening Chart.

Chart cr

Each pocket is labeled with a different responsibility.

FHE cr

Song

Prayer

Scripture/Story

Lesson

Activity

Treat

Name FHE cr

Then we made a tag for each person to be placed in the pocket.  At the end of FHE we will rotate the tags and remind each family member of their responsibility so they have a whole week to think about it.

Closeup of FHE cr

After our successful FHE this week, I  had an Ah-ha moment.

When we hold regular, successful FHE I can cross almost all my concerns off my list. 

I have spent Monday afternoons preparing a treat with one child.  We will play a game as part of our activity each week.  I will make sure we have time to read a few scriptures(I still hope to find more time, but this is a good start).  The weeks that Jex is in charge of the lesson, we will tackle something in his scout book and Faith in God.

I understand now why Obedience is so important.  The leaders of the LDS church have asked us to hold regular FHE. 

…and because we are obediently doing so; Family Home Evening cleared my mind.  What a blessing that is.

I encourage you to set aside time each week to share with your family, regardless if you are a Mormon or not.  It really does set a peaceful tone in your home, and you can learn so much about each other.

Our kids look forward to Mondays each week.  Now that I am little more organized, they are already talking about what we will do next week.

 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the FHE chart, very cute! We have been trying to be better about FHE & scripture study too, one thing that works for us is to do scripture study right after dinner, sometimes when the slow ones are still eating. We are using the book of mormon stories with the pictures and the kids love it! We haven't done it every night, but we have read a lot more than in the past.

The Page Family said...

I found your blog awhile ago and love checking in once in awhile. We do our scripture study just before bed. This way both girls are home from dance, and/or after school clubs, if the hubby had to work late he is home as well. It helps calm everyone down from the crazy day and helps sets the tone for kneeling with them at their beds to say their prayers.

Tara said...

I love those moments when everything comes together - it's so nice to have a little break from the mile-a-minute-mind that we all suffer from occasionally! :) Your FHE chart is very cute! And so is your new header - love it!

Dave and Lindsay said...

You are very inspiring and I look up to you! Love you!

Krysta said...

hmmm...that is a great idea! I love how it all came together in the end by you tackling everything that is important to you. That is such a blessing! I had an ah-ha moment while reading that. Thanks! I have been stressing about the same things. I switched our scripture study to Sunday nights and our game night to Mondays. It's been so hard to carve out time on Mondays to make it all happen, but it really is so important. Our leaders are wise.

Related Posts with Thumbnails