Thursday, April 15, 2010

What I have learned Thursday...

Sac*ri*fice / [sak-ruh-fahys]       to surrender or give up for the sake of something else.

Do you ever think about sacrifice?  I think about that word in my head all the time.

Sure, I will sacrifice my run so we can have a really healthy meal together as a family.

or, I will sacrifice my sleep so I can stay up and snuggle with you or rock you to sleep.

I will sacrifice my girls weekend in order to stay home with the kids.

If you think about it, it can be a nasty word. 

It can also be a very beautiful & powerful word.

I must admit, I thought about it in a selfish way.  Who else do I have time to  sacrifice for?

Then...  I had an Ah-ha or as we say as members of the LDS faith would say; personal revelation.

I was standing in the shower pondering, thinking, asking, "Why?  Why do I have to give this up?, I wanted to do this so badly."  The answer came very clearly.

"Because to fully become more like the Savior, you must truly understand sacrifice."

Mothers understand Sacrifice, but do I truly understand it?

I understand that my role as a Mother means a lot of selfless acts.  I now understand that it is important to do them with out complaint.  Do them with love and compassion, because I have been given a very important job to do.  That is the job of a mother.

I will give up my weekends, sleep, personal time because:

I am the one who:

...will tell you that you are a child of God.

Tess mirror bw

...can comfort you when you are feeling out of sorts.

Isaac crying

...can urge you to be creative, and use your talents.

Stella Color

...will teach you about the Savior and his sacrifice.

Jex Scriptures

I know that sacrifice is not easy for any one.  Being completely selfless is not at all easy.

We have a wonderful example.  Someone who sacrificed without murmur or complaint.

I am trying to keep that in mind.

My loved ones that I make sacrifices for are worth it.

I am a child of God,  

and so my needs are great.

Help me to understand his words.

Before it grows to late.

Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,

help me find the way.

Teach me all that I must do.

To live with him someday.

6 comments:

Becky said...

Another definition of sacrifice is to make sacred. Not only are you nurturing and teaching your children important truths, but you are also making yourself more holy.

Jenn said...

What a wonderful post, well said! I love the pictures of your kids, gorgeous!
Have a wonderful day!

Leila said...

Love this post. So true. I also loved your post on being happy. That has been my focus for the past several months. I found myself in state of " I am happy... but...." Contentment is such a hard line to walk (for me at least). But, with the Lord's help, I am getting better all the time!

Thanks for these posts, they give me much to think about.

Katie said...

I sing "I Am A Child of God" to Ashling as I lay her down to sleep everytime and have been the whole year of her life so far. It's so important for me to let her (and my other children) know that she is literally a child of God. What a wonderful, hopeful, and eternal concept we can teach to them right from birth to help mold and shape their lives to start on the right path.

Krysta said...

Personal revelation is the best. I love when you are struggling with something (well I don't really love that) but when it all falls into place in your thoughts and finally makes sense. It's such a wonderful feeling of peace!

Eileen said...

What a touching, lovely post. My heart has been touched.

Judd is going to Seattle Washington. TFA

Related Posts with Thumbnails