Thursday, March 4, 2010

What I have learned Thursday.

I am starting a new post.  I am going to try and share new ideas or thoughts that I have learned every Thursday.  (you know me, so don't hold your breath;but I will try)

Motherhood is my full time job.  I am always looking for new ways to improve and become better at my job.  Many times it is through reading blogs, chatting with a friend, or reading a magazine or book that I come up with new ideas.

I hope to share some of those thoughts here.

Today, I have 4 ideas that have helped me.

The first 2 come from my friend Jamie.

Stations:  every family member has a station.  ie: Jex/living room, Stella/playroom, Isaac/dining room, Mommy/kitchen, Daddy/trash cans, and outside, everyone/own bedroom.

At the end of the day or when I say, "Check your station."  Everyone must make sure that their station looks how we would want it to look if we were having company.(This includes straightening pillows, rugs, and chairs.  Also picking up toys.)

This has helped tremendously when we need to do a quick run through. It seems like we are all working together.  Even little Isaac understands and takes care of his station.  I have been so impressed.

Oh, and one more from my smart friend, Jamie(I would link to her blog, but it has been since HALLOWEEN since she posted) mmm hmm. Jamie get to work.  Stop coming up with these great ideas and start blogging.

Any hoo, at the end of the day her family shares something that made them happy.

We started doing it in our home  after family prayer. We each take a turn sharing what made us happy that day.

I have been so touched at how much it has affected our children.  They look forward to it.  Throughout the day Isaac will randomly ask me, "what makes you happy, mama?"  BTW, his response to that question is always, "Jesus."  Adorable.

Thanks for those ideas Jamie.

Here is one from my friend Krysta.

She sets her timer when she has work to do.  When it goes off, she is done.  This lets her know that she can't keep going on and on, and it also gets her butt in gear as she races against the clock.

I tried it today, and it really works.  I got so much done in 1 1/2 hours, and then no more cleaning, cooking, or laundry folding for me.

She is so smart!!

My last idea, I came up with in my own little head.

I write Jex's spelling words on the mirror in his bathroom.  That gives him 4 days to look them over, and also allows Stella to start reading them.  She is all the time asking me, "what does this spell?"Spelling words

He was already getting 100 percent, but I know this has made it much easier on him to see the words on a regular basis.

What have you learned today?

P.S.  It is such a nice day outside.  I am beginning to think that spring might be on it's way.  I am still in my Yoga pants, but I am sporting my flip flops with them just so I can pretend spring is near.(I know I am a dork.)

flipflops

The kids are enjoying the warmth outside today.  That gives me some time to blog.

Goldfish

Okay, I really better go, I have all of this to unload... and

DSC_0046

I am teaching a bread class tonight.

Bye.

7 comments:

Jennifer S. said...

What photo editing software do you use??

Lauren said...

Great ideas. I can't wait to try them on my family. I just discovered your blog a few days ago and I love it. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas and inspiring your readers.

Carrie said...

OOOooo the spelling word idea is FANTASTIC! I hope you keep up with the good idea Thursdays :) Keep them coming and thanks for sharing!

The Dooley Family said...

cute! I LOVE the station idea! I keep a folder of tutorials, ideas, etc, that i'd like to do for my future family! That is definitely going there! (I won't remember it on my own!)

My mom always did that with our spelling words. It worked WONDERFULLY!

Jenn said...

Great ideas! I can't wait to learn more from you! You've got it together, that's for sure!
Did you use a sharpie to write on the mirror? That is a fantastic idea!
Have a great weekend!

janae cairns said...

What a FAB idea writing the words on the mirror! I'm gonna borrow that one!

Krysta said...

Fun post! I laughed at the picture of the kids eating on the trampoline. Jex and Isaac are making the same face!

Related Posts with Thumbnails