Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"Sew" in need of Therapy

After our weekend, I needed some therapy.  I locked myself in my room and I broke out my sewing machine.   A little fact about myself, I hate sewing.

Do you remember my New Years Resolution for 2009?

I wanted to learn to enjoy sewing, and become better at it but...

2009 didn't turn out so great for me.

So...I am having a re-do.

Here are my little projects: (WARNING:  lots of pictures, and project overload, your head might be swimming when you are done, mine was just putting this together.)

Baby Booties

booties

Yes, you heard me.  I made shoes for my baby.  They are made out of felt, and so easy.

Here is the pattern:  Compliments of Heather Bailey.  I don't know you personally, but Thank You.

Then I whipped up some bubble skirts.

One for Stella:

Stella skirt

and one for Tessa:

Tessa Monogram

This little project was all about using what I had.  Since we were stuck indoors, I could not run to the fabric store.

I used  tights that Stella had grown out of for the top of her skirt, vintage fabric from my MIL's stash and and

old zipper to adorn the skirt.

Yellow flower

Tessa's skirt was made from a pair of pants that were to short.  I cut them off just above the legs, and the top now became the waist band.  I used  left over fabric for the skirt, and another zipper to adorn the waist band.

I had all the ribbon in my stash.  I like to check my scrapbooking supplies for fun embellishments. 

These zippers also make great embellishments. You see, I inherited my Grandmother's sewing machine when she passed away.  That meant I also inherited a zillion zippers that happened to be in her bottom drawer.

I can't put zippers in anything, so I must find something else to do with them.(I joke that I can't sew anything that has legs or sleeves.)  I think this pretty little flower will do:

Pink Flower

Tip:  make sure to attach a safety pin to the back and attach it to the skirt that way.  Why you ask?

pin

Because it is adorning my sweater today.

I even used one to make a hair bow.DSC_0138

The girls also needed cute shirts to go with their new skirts.  I already had some  Avery transfer paper.  You use this with your computer.  You print it out on this special paper, and then iron on the transfer.

I designed a transfer in photoshop, and ironed it on an

old white shirt, and some white onesies.

princess

A few buttons on the sleeve, and you have a whole

new shirt.

I also thought it would be fun to make some with their monograms:

monogram

...and you see that little shrug she has on.  It was once this:

DSC_0004

It was just to small, but now it can serve another purpose.

And Finally, the project that started my sewing kick.

Krysta's daughter Kaylee wore this to Tessa's blessing:

DSC_0868 

I just had to have one for Stella, so here is what I came up with:

Black Skirt

The top is a pair of pants that had gotten to short.

Here are the details of the skirt:

Dress Details

DSC_0061

I had fabric left so Tessa needed one too:

Tessa polka dot

Her waistband was also from an old pair of pants.

Tessa 1

A few weeks ago,Isaac saw this fabric at the store, and cried and cried because he wanted it so bad. 

So... he got an apron.(one more thing to make that doesn't have legs or sleeves)  I told you... it's all I can do.

apron

He is so proud of his apron. 

Here are a few sites for ideas:

twirly skirt

ruffled skirt

zipper flowers  (I used hot glue to put mine together, and glues a safety pin on the back)

bubble skirt

skirts out of tights  

I know this is project overload, but hopefully it

will inspire you to try one. I hope you try to make things out of what you have.  Go through your kids closets, and bring life to something old.

I have to say that I feel much better.

The therapy was "sew" needed.

P.S.  I did not make all of this in one day.  It was over the course of a few days, and now I can't wait to make more booties.

 

9 comments:

Dave and Lindsay said...

Those are so cute! I need to learn how to sew now that I have a sewing machine!

Beth Curtis said...

oh my goodness! so cute! i was telling Krys that i need a girl for these projects. i love the transfer paper ideas i am sure i can make something for Beck using that technique.

The Dooley Family said...

SOOO cute!! I'm waiting for my mom to send my sewing machine with Shelby! I've hated not having it!

katie@tulsadetails said...

Wow, I am really impressed! I LOVE the rosette! I want one! : )

Tara said...

Cute Cute Cute! Don't you LOVE the internet for good ideas?! Thanks for the links, too -- so fun to see so many fun things!

Savanna said...

You amaze me! I am totally inspired. I got a sewing machine for Mother's Day last year and I've used it 2 times. So you have motivated me to whip it out and try some of these. Thanks for the darling ideas. You are so talented!

Krysta said...

I'm sitting here trying to decide which is my favorite thing...I LOVE how Stella's skirt turned out. Too cute for words!! Your zipper flower is so fun, I love that you can use it on anything. You made Stella a shrug?? Your creativity is endless! I love you. Good job.

Jamie said...

Oh wow, you have been busy!! I love them ALL! Especially the girls skirts!!!

Monique said...

Love your ideas and your babies are so cute! What Avery transfer paper do you use? I have tried a couple different ones and non come out as good as yours!

Related Posts with Thumbnails