Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Resolutions...

As the New Year approaches, we all start thinking about the resolutions that we want to make for the New Year.  I must say that I have a list that is quite long myself.  We must be realistic in our goals,and so I have set my sights on just a few. 

This year, I have decided that I want to learn new tasks.  I want to gather knowledge from those around me, and then put it to use. 

My list includes:

Learning how to sew more then the four things that I know already that means learning how to follow a pattern.

Learning how to plant a garden and have it thrive

Learn sign language

Refresh my memory on the English language, and become a better writer.

I am well on my way to crossing a few of these off my list.  I have spoken to a friend about my garden. She is coming to help me get started this month.  I have researched sign language classes on line, and I am hoping to do the same with an English course.  I took a writing class in 2008, and I can't wait to put what I have learned in to effect.

As for sewing, I already got my first lesson.  While my MIL and SIL were here for the holidays, I was able to learn from them.  Believe me when I tell you this is not the first time they have tried to teach me.  I know the basics, but not really enough to make anything look great.  My MIL is wonderful at the sewing machine, and has taught her children well(yes, including my husband who up until this last weekend could sew better then me.)

Sharing

(Lorinda sewing her apron)

They taught me how to read a pattern, a few tricks of the trade, and wha-la... I made my first apron.(and I did it all on my own) I love it.  I am in love with sewing now, and I can't wait to start my next project.  I still have a lot to learn, but I am understanding it so much better then I did even just a few years ago.  I guess it comes with age for me.  Mortensen Visit 035

I'm hoping that this new-found passion will help in my quest for happiness in our new home.  I find myself lonely,  missing family and my resident husband.  I hope this will help with some of that.(I must say I am happy most of the time, just sometimes lonely) 

I am inspired by President Uchtdorf's talk at the last General Relief Society meeting.  This is what he said:

"We know that sometimes it can be difficult to keep our heads above water. In fact, in our world of change, challenges, and checklists, sometimes it can seem nearly impossible to avoid feeling overwhelmed by emotions of suffering and sorrow.

I am not suggesting that we can simply flip a switch and stop the negative feelings that distress us. This isn’t a pep talk or an attempt to encourage those sinking in quicksand to imagine instead they are relaxing on a beach. I recognize that in all of our lives there are real concerns. I know there are hearts here today that harbor deep sorrows. Others wrestle with fears that trouble the soul. For some, loneliness is their secret trial.

These things are not insignificant.

However, I would like to speak about two principles that may help you find a path to peace, hope, and joy—even during times of trial and distress. I want to speak about God’s happiness and how each one of us can taste of it in spite of the burdens that beset us....

The Work of Creation

The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before.

Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty.

Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty—and I am not talking about the process of cleaning the rooms of your teenage children.

You might say, “I’m not the creative type. When I sing, I’m always half a tone above or below the note. I cannot draw a line without a ruler. And the only practical use for my homemade bread is as a paperweight or as a doorstop.”

If that is how you feel, think again, and remember that you are spirit daughters of the most creative Being in the universe. Isn’t it remarkable to think that your very spirits are fashioned by an endlessly creative and eternally compassionate God? Think about it—your spirit body is a masterpiece, created with a beauty, function, and capacity beyond imagination."  For the full talk click here.

Thank you Lorene and Lorinda for helping me

create!! What a wonderful  fulfilling feeling it

is.

10 comments:

Krysta said...

Your apron turned out so cute! Good job! I loved that talk too - BTW.

The Dooley Family said...

SO cute!!! I have a Vera Bradley apron that I love dearly (in Yellow Bird...it's a very home-y pattern!), and for Christmas I got another one (who knows why I need two?) that's Mrs. Cleaver/Stepford Wife style! Very fun! I love cooking and baking and this just makes it more enjoyable, right?

Love ya! Hope you and your family are doing well! I miss you all SO much!!

Alison Woods said...

Very, very cute apron, and cute lady in the cute apron.

Jasons girls said...

It really is amazing to me how you write about what I am feeing !! I too have days where I am just Lonely, not sad/depressed, just lonely. I miss Kansas. Maddie and I are visiting next week, very excited. I am hoping it will help. Your apron is darling !! Miss you.

Stephanie & Brad Bishop said...

A friend of mine gave me the CUTEST new apron for Christmas that her sis made. I love your handmade apron! So cute! I'm proud of you. I know what loneliness feels like with a husband gone many days and nights! You are doing a great job filling that void with a positive attitude, new hobbies, and fun family moments.

Katie said...

Andrea, I too had SUCH a hard time during Randy's first year of residency last year while we were in Cincinnati. His hours were horrible (about 90 hours a week) and I had to work each day to be happy. Elder Uchdorf's talk really inspired me as well and has kind of been "my talk" to help me be the happy, energetic, spunky girl I usually am. I started creating and serving as much as I could here in Cincinnati and life has been SOOOOO much better. Randy's schedule is tons lighter (60 - 70 hours a week) so that helps as well. It took me a few months but I feel like the old me again after one rough year. So just keep plugging away at it every day and life gets better and better!

Lorinda said...

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could finally share something creative with you, Mrs. Creativity!

Jerald and Lorene said...

Great job Andrea! That apron looks cute on you and very well done! I am proud of you!! Your creativity just goes on; I am in awe of you.
Love you lots and lots
Lorene

Donna's Next Chapter Art said...

When I am creating, I feel a greater closeness to my Creator. What joy and satisfaction that brings. Your apron is too cute.
I inherited some of my mother-in-law's aprons from the 1950's. It's wonderful that they are "in" again.

Becky said...

I loved that part of Elder Uchtdorf's talk. I can't believe you say you can't sew when you whipped up Isaac's whole bedroom in a snap and it turned out adorable. I don't know if I could do that and I've been sewing since junior high Home Ec!! Yay for finding new talents! If you guys ever find the guts to drive a trip back to Utah, we'd LOVE to have you crash at our place!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails