Monday, October 13, 2008

Homemade Granola

The summer that we moved home from Saba, we stayed with Jonathan's parents for about a month. Jonathan's mom had made homemade granola, and I couldn't wait to get up in the morning and eat it. Since that time, she taught me how, and I make my own.

I love to make it in the fall. It seems like such a fall food. The smell of it baking is such a pleasure to the senses. I enjoy eating this plain, just like a bowl of cereal. It is also great on yogurt, or on your favorite cereal to give it a little crunch. I want to share this favorite with you.

Nutty Berry Granola
4 C. regular rolled oats
2 Cups puffed brown rice
3/4 C. Bran Flakes
3/4 C. wheat germ
3 Tbs. raw sunflower seeds
3 Tbs. chopped nuts
1/4 C. dry milk
Combine this together in a big bowl, and stir well.
Heat:
3/4 C. honey
1/3 C. olive oil
together and stir until well-blended. Do not boil; stir in:
1/2 tsp. Almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla

Spread onto a large non-stick baking sheet. Bake 1 hour @ 225. Stir every 20 minutes.
Add: 1/2 C. dried cranberries
1/2 C. dried blueberries the last 10 minutes, and toss gently.I double this recipe, and then store it the #10 cans that food storage comes in. It is so delicious. I hope you enjoy it too.

4 comments:

Krysta said...

Looks yummy! I'm going to have to try it.

Jasons girls said...

Yum, I always forget to make granola. Yours looks good and not a lot of sugar. Where do you find a #10 can for storage?? I have lots of bulk stuff and I am always looking for storage. Thanks for the recipe !!! Miss you guys (Trunk or Treat always makes me think of you and smile) Remember Jonathan and Jason and those teeth on Saba ?? Ha Ha

Jamie said...

Yummy! I'll have to give it a try! You are great to share your recipies!

Eileen said...

It worked!!! Thanks for hangin in there with me! I can't wait to catch up.

LOVED your post on Enjoying the Journey. Such sweet words from a mom that has her hands so full of sticky fingers. I admire young mothers with young babies that strive so hard everyday to do what is right and be happy along the way. Keep up the GREAT work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails