Monday, October 6, 2008

Lessons learned...


This morning at 5:25 am, I dragged my sleeping angels out of bed to take Jonathan to work. His truck broke down on the freeway yesterday as he was coming home from work. You are probably thinking to yourself, oh... I am so sorry that you had to do that. It sounds miserable. I however, decided to look at it differently.

This is the beginning of our fifth year of medical training. It has not always been easy. There have been lots of difficult moments in these last 4+ years. Training to be a doctor is hard work. I have often found myself having a pity party for myself. Oh poor me... my husband works long hours, he is on call, he is so tired. (I usually only think this to myself, and I put on a front that I am fine.) Among the long hours, he still has responsibilities. I try to ease that burden as much as I can. He is still so helpful with the kids when he is home. However, when things like a broken truck get thrown in to the mix it really makes it hard. How do you deal with getting it fixed, working a 30 hour shift, and find time for your wife and kids. I thought about that this morning on our drive in to work. I thought immensely about the sacrifices that my husband has had to make along the way. Normally, I would have been thinking... this is such a sacrifice for me. I have to get out bed, and drag the kids out of bed. Then I have to deal with them today when they are so exhausted. What changed my attitude?

Yesterday, during conference, President Monson talked about enjoying the journey. He reminded me that this time would be over before I know it. It got me thinking, I can either be ornery about getting out of bed, or I can "enjoy this journey." I can savor the extra 30 minutes that I got with my husband this morning, or I can be grumpy. My favorite part of the day, was when I realized that he got to say goodbye to the kids this morning. This is something that he never gets to do. He got an extra 30 minutes with them today. He got to hear, "I love you daddy", before he walked in to the chaos of the hospital. That is when I realized that I am not the one who sacrifices. I am home all day, "enjoying the journey" with our children while he works hard to provide for us. Residency is so demanding, and I know how badly he wants to be a part of what we are doing.

I will forever be grateful to my loving husband; who makes it possible for me to come home after a 1 hour drive of dropping him off, and allows me to climb back in to bed with my baby. I treasured my 15 minutes with Isaac while I fed him a bottle this morning, because I know that Jonathan would gladly trade me in a heartbeat. So... instead of finding things to complain about, or think about the sacrifices I make as a mother. I am going to focus on the sacrifice that my husband makes for me so that I can be a "stay at home mom", and enjoy the journey. We love you Jonathan. Thank You.

12 comments:

Krysta said...

What a wonderful way to look at it. You really took the words you heard and applied them to your life. Thank you for being an example to me of following the words of our Prophet.

KW said...

I also enjoyed that talk very much, it was very inspiring. You and Jonathan both make a ton of sacrifices daily for your family and you are a wonderful example.

Jasons girls said...

We must be on the same page today. I posted about time I miss with Jason and then I read yours !! Too funny. It's going to get easier right ???

Emily said...

This post made me cry! Way to put it in words and perspective! I secretly have a pitty party for myself all the time. :) Being the wife of a med student/doctor is hard! :) Thanks for helping me to see I need an attitude adjustment.

Cyndi said...

Those same words from Pres. Monson really stood out to me also. It's amazing how easy it is to get overwhelmed as a mother & to focus on how hard it is. It's so true that if we just enjoy those precious moments we have with our little ones & husbands how much easier it is to have a positive outlook each day. Take care!!

Becky said...

Thanks for your great perspective, Andrea! You're great. If you ever want to vent to more than yourself, I'm only a phone call away!!

Jessica said...

What a wonderful way to enjoy your journey! Thanks for sharing your lesson learned--it's something I definitely need to remember every day.

Carrie said...

(from Matt Ormond)-- :) he says "nice call Andrea. keep up the good work."
(from Carrie Ormond)-- Matt is jealous that I haven't come up with this attitude yet :) Thank you for your true & wonderful insight & example :)

Amy said...

I know I commented on this same posting on the Swenson blog, but I just wanted to compliment you on all your recent postings. I enjoy being able to catch a peek at the happenings in your lives and to see how the kids are growing and changing. Thanks!

Bre said...

You have such a great positive outlook on everything. I just love it! Your are such a great example to me everytime I read your blog! Conference hit me in so many different ways this time as well, I was grateful I was able to watch it! I think that you both are amazing and your kids are lucky to have you both!

Leila said...

Gosh, well said. I was moved by President Monson's talk as well. My son has been waking on his own at 5:30 for last three mornings! If he does it again tomorrow, I will have to try to apply some of your perspective. Because frankly, waking up that early is not a part of my journey that I have learned to enjoy yet. Thanks for the encouraging words!

Jamie said...

You are always such an inspiration to me. Thank you for that post. I need to remember this when I complain to my husband- it's really such a blessing to be able to stay home and enjoy raising our kids.

Related Posts with Thumbnails