Sunday, July 6, 2008

New Traditions!!

After spending many Holidays away from home, you start to think about the traditions your kids will remember. As a child, the Fourth of July was spent camping with family and friends at a KOA. This was tradition as long as I can remember. I looked forward to it every year. I would count down the days until we would pack up and go. Our memories for our children have been different than I expected. No more hometown celebrations or fireworks with family. No more camping and BBQ's with the people we love. I want my children to look forward to this holiday just as I did. So... every year, I try to think about what traditions we will have. Because we have moved a lot they seem to change frequently.

Now... we have a new tradition. At least for the next 4 years... and the kids couldn't be happier. This 4th was spent at a pavilion owned by a couple in our ward. They host this event every year. It was amazing. Our entire ward was invited, along with their friends, and also some of their employees. I would have to say about 400 people were there. The event starts at noon and ends at 10:00pm.
They provide all of the food complete with catfish, ribs, burgers, hotdogs, salads, french fries, every drink under the sun, watermelon, corn on the cob, and homemade ice cream. They made 30 batches of delicious homemade icecream. Then just across from the food stand, is a little shack complete with sno cones and cotton candy. My kids were in heaven. Jex just couldn't stand it, and had to keep going back for more. Stella loved that we let her eat whatever she wanted that day. Isaac fell in love with the catfish (who knew), oh... and the ice cream.





Isaac enjoying bites of Catfish!!

They also have all sorts of great things for the kids to do. Jex loved going down the slide with a pool at the end. I was so proud of him, he didn't act scared at all. Stella enjoyed playing on the playground and getting dirty. A change of clothes was necessary by the end of the day. Isaac was content to just watch everyone, and EAT!!
Jex splashing down in the pool, after a quick ride down the slide.


After a day of fun, food, laughter, and friends, they close the night with an amazing fireworks show. Not just a small fireworks show. It was pretty major.

Even though we miss our traditions with our family at home, we will just have to make do with this new one. Stella said as we left, "Can we come back to America's birthday tomorrow too?"

We are looking forward to the party again next year, and appreciate being invited to join in on the fun. It really helped to make my favorite Holiday not seem so lonely.



All Tuckered Out (the fireworks put him right to sleep!!)

Happy Birthday America!!

8 comments:

Alison Woods said...

That looks like so much fun! Glad to hear your making friends quickly and enjoying your new home.

Colt 'n Tami said...

u are the cutest blogger in AMERICA! love your pics and all that you have to say!!!! i love stalking your blog!!!!

Stephanie said...

What a great day! Have you by any chance run into Randy & Chantel Anderson? They are there somewhere. He's a radiologist(working there).

Eileen said...

How fun! Can I come next year?

Andrea said...

Tami: You need to invite me to your blog. I want to blog stalk you.

Michelle said...

Yay!! It was so fun to hang out with you guys there! Thanks for playing Accumulation with us. Can't believe Isaac loved the catfish at his age. That is hilarious!
BTW, "stephanie", I know the Andersons'! They are awesome. :)

Stephanie & Brad Bishop said...

As promised, I will leave a memory concerning your family. You taught me what a "cistern" is and what it is used for! I enjoy seeing the beautiful pictures of your adventures on the island. Wondrous pictures of God's creations--both the island and your family!

Krysta said...

How fun! I'm glad that you can have fun wherever you are. Your kids will have so many fun things to remember!

Related Posts with Thumbnails