Monday, April 21, 2008

Pure in Heart


Jex is such and amazing boy. He blows Jonathan and I away on most occasions. About a month ago, we put him in charge of the lesson for Family Home Evening. He didn't hesitate, and just grabbed his scripture book. We have the books from the church that have the pictures series. Each picture has a caption underneath. We also have the video, that is the same pictures, and same narrative. He has watched the movie continuously, and loves it. So... when he grabbed the book he said, "I need Chapter 31." We turned to that page, and he began to tell us the story of Captain Moroni defeats Zarahemna. He didn't miss a word. He would point to the pictures, and tell us the story from memorization. He learned it from watching the movie. He knew the names of each character, and places. The land of Jershon, the river Sidon and knew when to use Zarahemna, and Zarahemla. We were astounded. Then to top it off, he repeated the story to his grandparents while in Utah. This time he did it without the book, and pictures to remind him. He did it completely from memory.

I am so grateful for Jex, and his reminder to love the scriptures. He will not let us forget family scripture study, he often looks at the pictures books during the day, and loves to learn more about the scriptures, and where they came from. He has such a pure heart and not only wants to do what it right, but he tries hard to make right choices. He is a wonderful example. I only wish I knew the stories of the Book of Mormon as well as he does. What a blessing to have him in our family, teaching me about the stories from the Book of Mormon.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Ashlee said...

That is astounding. It is amazing how much smarter the new generation is, and how much more ready and in tune they are. My brother does the same to me often. It is so great that they have a love for the scriptures. I loved when you asked him the other day to be like Nephi..and he quit complaining and went. You are a great teacher. I hope my kids learn the same!

Fords said...

I wish that I could do that!! Often times I think that my primary kids know much more than I do.

Krysta said...

That is sweet little Jexy for you! I love that boy. He has such a tender heart and is so intuitive. I need to get those books for my kids. Will you e-mail me and tell me the name of them?

Amber said...

What a sweet boy. Did he learn that from the Living Scriptures videos? I have wanted to get them, but before I dropped $300 big ones I wanted to make sure it was worth it. Sounds like it is though!

Stephanie said...

What a sweetheart! I loved your 100 things. So fun to learn more about you. It made me think of you and remember the good times we had!

Donna's Next Chapter Art said...

Those are wonderful books. None of my grandkids have the videos. Sounds like it may be worth the investment. Jex is an amazing, spiritual boy.

Jerald and Lorene said...

Hi Swenson, We enjoying visiting the blog and keeping informed about the Kansas Swensons. that will soon be the Ar--Kansas Swensons. WE love you. Jerald and Lorene

Jerald and Lorene said...

I remember Jex telling from memory this B of M story while here in Utah in March. What an incredible little gift from heaven. He is truly a tender and sensitive boy; I hope he always stays that way. Tell him that Gram loves him very much!
I've loved reading and viewing things on your blog. Thanks for letting us share in your life; because your life is our life.
Love you, Lorene PS check my comment on your 100 things; I may try it someday.

Related Posts with Thumbnails