Thursday, July 16, 2015

Have you ever said…

I will never….?

Have you heard the phrase never say never?

Or I’m eating my own words?

As a mother, I have eaten my own words a lot.

When I didn’t have kids or only had one child, and I saw a child throwing a tantrum in the store; I may have gone home saying…

“My Children, will NEVER act like that!”

Then I had Stella, and I ate my words, when she threw many tantrums including a doozy in Lowes.  There was lots of jumping up and down, and “I don’t like you”, being said. I was so embarrassed…

…and then I ate my own words. 

It was from then on that I smiled and offered encouraging words like, “I’ve been there”, to any mother I saw who had children throwing tantrums at the store.

We moms have to stick together.

In my life, I have eaten my words a lot.

Every time has been a learning and growing experience.  I feel like I mature with each letter that I swallow.  I begin to understand life a little more.

I am really learning that “Never say Never” is good advice.

…and once again I am swallowing big letters that spell out the word N. E. V. E. R.

I have always said, “We will NEVER have a dog.”

Well, guess what…

new dog-0414

The Swenson’s are getting a dog.

IMG_9155

Meet Saba, pronounced Say-Buh.

IMG_9116  

She is named after the island of Saba that we lived on in the Caribbean:

 photo SabaAerial2_zps4259aba0.jpg

This is little Saba when she was just 10 days old, and just days after my neck surgery:

IMG_8917  

My friend brought her over to make me smile.  I think this is my first smile after the surgery.  This is the day I knew that I would be eating my words, and getting a dog. 

She was literally the size of a twinkie that day:

IMG_8919

The love of my life, I call him Loverboy, wasn’t quite sure getting a dog was a good idea either.  He loves dogs, and grew up with dogs.  He also loves me, and knows how much I like to have routine and cleanliness.  He was most worried about me and the change of getting a dog.

IMG_9117 

The he held her, she snuggled in, and he fell in love too.

IMG_9150

We are all smitten.

IMG_9116

She is a little Yorkie. 

She is still just a little puppy, weighing in at 1.4 pounds.

IMG_9109

Saba’s mommy, passed away when Saba was just 5 weeks old. 

It was so sad.  I cried for my dear friend Heather who lost her sweet dog, Roxy.

IMG_9113

This is my friend Emily, whose dog is the daddy, helping to supplement the puppies with milk.  It’s been fun to be getting a dog whose parents belong to 2 of my dearest friends.

IMG_9105

The plan was to get Saba during the first week of August, but since Roxy, Saba’s mom is gone; we are getting her earlier.

 new dog-0417

We just found out that we get to take her this weekend.

new dog-0419

I feel so unprepared, but I think that’s what I need to learn to do with a puppy; just roll with the punches.

IMG_9205

So..  wish me luck, and remember…

Never say Never.

It’s good advice, I promise.

1 comments:

Leslie Posey said...

she is soooo adorable!! I love animals however I'm not a huge fan of them in my house. From my experience long hair dogs don't shed much at all. On the other hand short hair dogs shed really bad! I bet she won't shed. I would gladly take a yorkie...I think they are so cute. Now you get to travel with 4 kids and a dog! She is a cutie and will create fights between the kids in who gets to hold her! Its like a new baby...Hey that gives me an idea...I might have to get a new baby(a puppy) when I want another baby! LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails