Friday, February 27, 2015

A little project that I am finally getting to.

I have wanted to do this project since we moved in to this house.

I have been wanting to do a wall collage.

I knew what wall I wanted to put it on, and I knew what I wanted to put in the frames.

It has taken me some time(20 months to be exact), to get my butt in gear.

My idea for this project was a collage wall full of important things, and pictures of important events.

I wanted to showcase stuff that is so important to our family.

I knew this wall would look awesome, but I also knew it would be good for our kids.

Some of this important stuff had never even been seen by our children.

To be honest, some of it hadn’t even been seen by me.

I really had to dig to find some of Jonathan’s important stuff, and it had been ages since I had seen a few of my important little pieces.

This fun little wall is right at the bottom of our stairs in our basement.

Last week it was bare, and now it looks like this:

 photo Collage Wall-0603_zpsaic7j9zm.jpg

I thought it would be fun to tell you about some of these important now framed items.

It might inspire you to get some of your memorable items in frames.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0690_zpsagqyudrg.jpg

This stuff was of most importance to me.  It was important to me that our children see this stuff.  The upper photo is of Jonathan receiving his mission call for our church.  The letter to the right is his actual mission call.  The bottom photo is of Jonathan on his mission.  In the shadow box on the left is his mission badge and a few of his mission tie tacks.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0688_zpsgpkyg40j.jpg

FYI: I used wrapping paper as the background in the shadow box.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0685_zpssc8kis4b.jpg

A little close-up view of his mission call.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0686_zpsnwkjcstl.jpg

These are a few other fun finds:

 photo Tess making some cookies-0711_zpsnmbuoxgp.jpg

When I started going through old photos, I found the picture on the bottom left.  This is one of the only pictures I have of Jonathan and I while we were dating.  I think it is only fitting since it was to a Utah State dance.  I love that it says Aggies in the photo.(kind of hidden behind us)

The upper pic is our wedding announcement photo.  I was thrilled when I found our temple sealing insert.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0713_zps3uwwxe4s.jpg

The bottom right picture is of me when I won Miss Payson.  My local hometown scholarship pageant.  Ya! that was my senior year in 1996.

This is a fun little collection of goodies.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0712_zpstqkxrrfg.jpg

In the picture below, you will see a character drawn of me when I was 3 years old at the Utah State Fair.  My mom has saved it all these years.  I love it!

 photo Collage Wall-0609_zpsm824znjb.jpg

The picture above it of the sweet little baby boy is my first born, and this photo is special to me.  I saved all my money to get these pictures taken at this place called kiddie candids.  We were so poor, but I wanted nice pictures of Jex.  It is funny how much photography has evolved.  It is also special to me because he is the cutest baby.  The black and white picture is a photo of just Jonathan and I a few years into a marriage.  This photo is pre-children.  It shocks our kids to see how young we look.

 photo Collage Wall-0610_zps8iimdzif.jpg

…and the plate up above is the plate that was given to my mother by the hospital when I was born.  The clock shows the time I was born, the scale shows my weight, and the flag on the wall has the date and place.  Its pretty amazing that this was something you got at the hospital back then.

This drawing in the middle is pretty important to our family:

 photo Tess making some cookies-0694_zpsyxdovgwf.jpg

  While we lived in Pennsylvania, Stella was baptized.  There was a gentleman that belonged to our church who was an artist.  He sat behind our family during the baptism.  This is a drawing he drew of Stella on her baptism day.  It is so beautiful, as is she.

 photo Collage Wall-0608_zpsnanliwmy.jpg

The picture of the little girl with bright blue eyes below it is special to me because its when my baby turned one. It was a bittersweet day to have your baby turn one years old; and now she is five.  ahhh!! Stella is the newborn photo next to Tess.  That was a big day in our family.  Stella’s birth was a hard time for our family, but also so special.  Jonathan was not with me when I had Stella.  He was still in the Caribbean at school.  It was hard to be apart that day. The little cutie in the gold frame above that is me.  Yes!! me!!

…and the other sweet baby is Isaac: 

 photo Tess making some cookies-0718_zpsjjz3agqz.jpg

This photo is important to me because when I became a mom to 3, I felt like a real mom.  I began to understand what God had in store for me as a mother.

…and that’s why I love this photo so much.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0717_zpsjxsjm3to.jpg

I thought it would be fun for the kids if I framed some of their pins from Disney; also on wallpaper.

 photo Collage Wall-0607_zpsr6b2h5iy.jpg

Next to the pins, is my white handkerchief from my wedding day.  It has the temple we were married in embroidered on it.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0715_zpsseknwgn1.jpg

…and below the pins, is a picture of Jonathan with both sets of his grandparents.  All of whom have since passed away.

 photo Collage Wall-0619_zpsrgpmcw5r.jpg

…and this is a photo of my grandparents on their wedding day.  My grandmother has since passed away too.  I sure miss her.  She is like my kindred spirit.  I feel in so many ways that I am so much like her.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0691_zpsw6tvuizl.jpg 

This is a photo of Jonathan playing baseball in highschool.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0719_zpsda5xfqmd.jpg

This top photo in the gold frame is also of Jonathan playing baseball for Snow College.

 photo Collage Wall-0606_zpszzsq9khm.jpg

Just below that is a picture of Jonathan as a little boy.  So cute!! Now I know why I have such cute kids.  To the right of that is the invitation to Jonathan’s medical school graduation.  The scripture in the frame above is Ruby’s scripture.  This scripture is so important to our family, and the quote next to it in the big gold frame is the theme for Jex this year in our church.  This is a great scripture for our youth to live by.  I wanted it hanging on our wall as a reminder to Jex; and our whole family.

Speaking of Jex, this is a drawing he did in the fourth grade.  It won an art contest at his school.  A copy of it was made and is hanging in the school in Pennsylvania for all time.  I have the original hanging on my wall.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0698_zpseiekb1na.jpg

It was important to me that I had at least on of my ultrasounds framed. I think it’s fun for kids to see what it looks like to have a baby in your belly.  This is Tessa in mine.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0699_zpszefqqi7s.jpg

This photo is pretty important to Jonathan and I.  This is a picture of the island that we lived on for 2 years.  This is the island of Saba.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0692_zpsieklgrtd.jpg

…and this is Saba lace. It is handmade by the ladies of the island.  This piece was made by a sweet lady named Helen.

 photo Tess making some cookies-0716_zpsaucuf4gk.jpg

…and now you have had a little glimpse into what is important to us.

It’s not all that is important.  Believe me.  I had more fun items and photos I could frame, I just ran out of frames.

So… I left room at the top of the wall because I want to keep adding to it.

Thanks for checking out my latest project.

 

12 comments:

April said...

Wow! I just love gallery walls and getting to see them up-close. I have been planning one for a large wall in our living room but haven't actually started on it. Yours has given me a lot of inspiration!

valerie said...

this is beautiful! i love how you frames mementos ….where did you get those frames with the gold polka dots? Ive been wanting to do this for some time! Thanks for the inspiration.

KW said...

It turned out so good! I think this is what I want to do downstairs, if I can get the motivation to do it!

Amy said...

This is just fascinating! Such a treasure.

My sister & I both received those plates, too! We were born in WI!

Eileen said...

I am in LOVE! I'll have to come back over now. . . .

Tiffany said...

I absolutely LOVE THIS!!! So much meaning and how special for your kids to look over. When we finish our basement I would love to do a wall like this!

Unknown said...

I have that same plate from the hospital. I was born in 79 in IL. Must have been the thing!

Unknown said...

I have that same plate from the hospital. I was born in 79 in IL. Must have been the thing!

Jerri-Lea said...

Andrea, this is A.MAZ.ING! Thanks for inspiring me to dig through boxes & albums to display items that tell our story!

Ford said...

Love it!

Becky said...

I am so in love with this that I don't even know where to begin!! Every memory is so precious! I am SO going to do this!! Thank you for insprining me!!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

It looks great! I can tell you worked really hard on it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails