Friday, March 8, 2013

Banana Muffins and or Bread

I really love to make muffins for my kids for breakfast. They are so easy.  I like using wheat flour and flax to make them just a bit healthier.

 photo BananaMuffins-0003_zps15ea59d5.jpg

I love to freeze them and pull them out at night so they will be ready for breakfast in the morning.

This is a recipe that I recently altered.  It is a recipe that I love, and I tweaked it a bit to make them a little bit better for you.

After a weekend away, I came home to some dark bananas.  I knew that banana muffins was just what I needed to create out of them.

I also made a loaf of banana bread with this recipe.  That little beauty was put in the freezer to share at a friend’s baptism this weekend.

 photo BananaMuffins-0004_zps002e41f1.jpg

Slightly Healthy, yet still appealing to little people Banana Muffins:

(this may seem like a lot of ingredients, but this makes a huge batch)

yeild: one loaf of banana bread and 24 muffins

1/2 C. butter(softened) or

1/4 C. butter and 1/4 C. applesauce(this is what I do)

1 C. brown sugar

6 eggs

2 t. vanilla

2 C. fat free sour cream

Mix well.

3 C. wheat flour(I ground mine fresh) using my favorite appliance

1 C. flax seed(also ground with my favorite appliance)

2 t. soda

1 t. baking powder

1 1/2 t. salt

add to mixture above and mix until combined

add 3 C. mashed bananas

1/2 C. milk chocolate chips

1/2 C. semi-sweet chips

scoop into muffin tins and liners, or fill bread pan half full of batter

I use both kinds of chocolate chips because milk certainly taste better, but semi are better for you.

I also like to use mini-chips when I have them on hand.  It makes the chocolate distribute a bit better.

Simple Streusel for the top: this makes the muffin

1/2 C. brown sugar

3 T. butter

3 T. flour

1/2 C. ground almonds

(I grind them in my blendtec until it is more like a flour; then my kids don’t know I put nuts on top) You could also just chop them or leave them out. 

Remember almonds are so good for you.

Sprinkle the muffins and bread with a little streusel.

Bake at 350

Muffins for 15-20 minutes

Bread for 35-40 minutes

 photo BananaMuffins-0001_zpsf919d136.jpg

ENJOY!!

 

1 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Thanks for the wonderful recipe! I'm always trying to make my baked goods healthier by adding flax or oats and I do the half fat have applesauce thing too. I'll try grinding up nuts to put on top as my daughter doesn't like nuts but - thanks for that tip!

Related Posts with Thumbnails