Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Autumn

I love this time of year. 

Autumn 2012

I also love the word Autumn.  I like it so much, I could even name a daughter Autumn.  …but that book is closed.  No more beautiful daughters to name Autumn.  Instead, I will just enjoy the season and saying “welcome” to my favorite time of year.

Some of the Autumn happenings around here:

Autumn mantel:

fall pics-0032

Autumn details:

Fall pics

I just love these itty bitty pumpkins you can buy. I love them so much I want to buy more and more, but my budget doesn’t allow that.

fall pics-0007

Autumn food:

fall pics-0034

Sweet Chili and Homemade Bread. (recipe located at the bottom of this post)

I have enjoyed being in my kitchen again.  After our long drawn out move, it is nice to be back.  I think I am cooking more than I have in a long time.  I am proud to say that I have a meal ready for my family most nights.  Jonathan is consistently home around the same time now, and never takes call.  It makes meal planning so. much. easier.  YEAH!!!

I have realized how important family meal time is.  I knew that, I am just reminded of it every time we sit down together.  I am thankful for my family all gathered round.

fall pics-0024

…and so we must have an Autumn table:

Fall pics-003

…and more Autumn food:

fall pics-0037

Ginger Snaps: (recipe also located at the bottom of this post)

and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip pancakes with Buttermilk Syrup

IMG_1088

and last but not least Autumn decisions:

photo header 3

After a lot of thought, I have come to a very difficult decision.  I am going to take a break from my photography business for a while.  I have had moments during our whole transition without sessions looming over me to be edited.  It is in these times that I feel the peace.  I think these moments helped with bringing back ME.  Although I love it, and I have a passion for it; I have decided that I am going to love it for me for a while.  I am going to love taking pictures of my kids.  I am going to love capturing the moments in our home.  I am going to take this year to learn and grow some in my photography for myself.  At the end of one year, I will take a step back, revaluate and decide where I am going from there.  I love the creative outlet that photography allows me, I just can’t afford to take anymore time from my kids.  Thank you to everyone who has supported me on my photography journey.  It has been a wonderful learning and growing experience for me.  I hope that when my kids are bigger that I can return to it with a more dedicated effort.

I recently finished posting my last 3 photo sessions that I haven’t shared with you yet.  If you would like to check them out, click on the picture to take you to each post found on my photography blog.

The Posey Family: my last photo session in AR

Photobucket

London: A great photo session of my niece in UT.  You should see the beautiful cherry orchards in these shots.

Photobucket

And this is my last session done here in PA of my sweet friend Kenna, her family, and their new addition.

Photobucket

I am thankful for this time of year.  I just love it.  I found this quote and it describes exactly how I feel.

quote fall

Ok, now that I have overloaded you with all that we have had going on, here are those recipes if you are interested:

Sweet Chili

fall pics-0034

This recipe was given to me by my friend Krysta.  It is a family favorite this time of year.

1# ground beef

1 onion chopped

2 cloves garlic

2 t. salt

1 t. black pepper

1 t. cumin

1 t. dried oregano

1 28oz. can diced tomatoes

1 20oz. can tomato sauce

1 16oz. can kidney beans(drained and rinsed) (I usually use 2)

1/2 C. brown sugar

1 can water

2 C. macaroni

Sour cream and shredded cheese

Brown beef, onion and garlic for ten minutes.  Drain and add spices.  Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.  add tomatoes, sauce and one can of water.  Add beans and brown sugar.  Boil and then simmer for 30-35 minutes.  Let stand for 10 minutes.  Add cooked macaroni.  Top with cheese and sour cream.

My changes:  I cook the ground beef with all seasonings just like the recipe says.  Then I add it all to the crockpot minus the noodles.  I let cook until one hour before we are ready to eat.  I add 1 cup of water and a couple handfuls of noodles.  The noodles cook in the crockpot in the hour.

Gingersnaps

fall pics-0037

Ginger Snaps

Pumpkin Pancakes with apple Cider Syrup:

IMG_1088

Beat 2 eggs, and stir in ¾ C. pumpkin then add:

2 T. sugar

½ t each: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger bk soda, and salt

1 ½ t. bk powder

¼ oil

1 ½ C. flour(can use whole wheat)

Stir in 1 ½ cups milk

Cook on griddle

I like to dump a few chocolate chips on each pancake.

Syrup:

Mix in saucepan:

1 C. sugar

2 T. corn startch

Add:

2 C. apple cider or juice

2 T lemon juice

Boil for one minute and serve over pancakes.

on this particular day, I used this syrup instead:

Buttermilk Syrup:

1 C. sugar

1/2 C. buttermilk

1 cube butter

Boil and remove from heat.

Add:

1/2 t. soda

1 t. vanilla

Stir together.  It will get bubbly.

Not healthy in the least, but oh so divine.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for the yummy recipes, i can't wait to try your sweet chili. I love your pictures of Leslie's family. I really miss having ya'll here. I love your fall decor. I haven't found all of my stuff yet.

Michelle said...

What a delightful post! I love autumn, too!!! I was so excited to see the recipes, especially the Sweet Chili. I'll never forget when you made that for Benjamin's birthday. I've wanted to recreate it ever since. I think you made a great decision with the photography. How could we ever regret having more time with our family? :) And you're right, you can keep enjoying that hobby with them as your subjects. I was just commenting to Marji today how great your photos for Stella's baptism were.

KW said...

I might have to make those cookies. That's a great tip for the noodles in the sweet chili too. We all love Autumn, too bad I don't get to experience it out here.

Christal said...

I would like to see PA in the fall!!! I seem to find myself missing Autumn so far here in TX...it's still in the high 90's! Started my front porch decorations, and have noticed I'm THE ONLY ONE in the neighborhood doing it! LOL

And, oh my goodness...I still LOVE your black & white plate set. <3

Lorinda said...

ahhhh! i wish you could take some picts of my new addition bc you do such a great job (and he is so darn cute)! im glad you are taking a breather though. loves.

Colleen said...

I am so trying this chili. looks so good!!

Becky said...

I also love autumn!! And I love that last quote about it being the "hush" before winter. I made your gingersnaps the other day and they were disastrous - I still don't know what I did! :) I've fallen in love with glitter over the last year or so and I really like all your sparkly decor.

Good for you for doing what you need to do for your family!

Related Posts with Thumbnails