Thursday, January 12, 2012

What I have learned Thursdays.

Remember when I used to write about things I have learned.  Well, it’s back.  It is a good opportunity for me to reflect on the things that Heavenly Father teaches me.  It is also a way to remember them when I go back and read my blog.  I also hope it helps you.

What I have learned….

I knew that I wanted to start this new year off with a bang.  I wanted to be better, and start with new goals.  2011 was hard on me.  It was a year of learning many lessons.  I spent the last week of 2011 reflecting on what I wanted to change.  I couldn’t exactly pin point what had been bothering me over the last few months. 

After talking it out with my bestie and my husband, I was able to put in to words what I was really feeling.

I have always been someone who takes on too much.  I have a hard time saying no.  On the flip side of the coin, I love doing all the things I say yes too.  I have a hard time choosing what to give up.  Much of the time I find my mind full of thoughts and lists.  It is always way to full.  Part of what I want help with is knowing what to do, and what not to do.  In doing so, it would be a way to stop my mind from running all the time. 

I compare it to a computer that has too many programs open.  My computer is never been given the opportunity to shut down.  I need to be able to run one program at a time, or at least minimize the program I am running so I can focus on another program; specifically my family.   In the last year, I noticed my mind in one place when it should really be on my family.  I want to be there listening or really understanding the words of the book I am reading instead of being off in never never land with my thoughts.

With the help of a good friend and her advice, I realized that I should take my problem to the Lord.  Don’t get me wrong,  I have prayed about my situation.  However, my friend  suggested that I take a different approach.  I decided to give it a try. 

I have ended each morning prayer with this response, “Heavenly Father please help me know what it is that you would have me do today.”  Over the last year, I got so wrapped up in what it was I needed to accomplish for me, the kids, or anyone else.  I forgot that I am supposed to be doing things that our pleasing unto the Lord.

In doing so, I have watched my days become easier. I have felt the promptings to say no to things that I just can’t do.  I have felt subtle reminders to do things that I should be doing.  I have been reminded to read my scriptures.  I have found extra time in my day.  I have been less forgetful, and more aware of what is going on around me.  I have been more aware of the thoughts that pop in to my head, and which thoughts are important to respond to.  I have acted upon phone calls that I feel are important.  I see my mind becoming more like a computer that can minimize and shut down.

Along with my mind being clear, I enjoy the subtle reminders throughout that day that Heavenly Father knows me and loves me.

I am thankful to learn, grow, and become better.

….and because it’s always better with a picture.

New Years Eve My Camera-119

Isn’t she pretty.  I love being a mother. I love trying to be better for them.

5 comments:

Krysta said...

I needed to read that, which is kinda funny since the "words of wisdom" came from me. hahaha...
It's different when I hear it from someone else. I like reading your words. I always need a reminder. I'm sad tonight and wasn't ready for bed. Your post made me feel much better. Thanks for being you!

Pam said...

Great advice, and yes Teasa is a little beauty!

Stella said...

Thank you for your wise words; I needed an eye-opener.... Thank you so so much....and your little Tess is a beauty.
Have a lovely weekend!

KW said...

Oh I love her, I miss her cute little personality. Great post, I have always called you Super woman because I could never do as much as you do, I feel like I am lazy because all my energy has been sucked out of me, but I like the prayer idea. Thanks for the post.

Lucy said...

Andrea,
Beautiful words. I had a bit of a hard 2011 as well. One of my goals this year is to be always positive, and trust my Heavenly Father with all my heart.
I am so happy I came across your blog through Pinterest. I will be visiting often.
Lucy
BTW... your kids are adorable!

Related Posts with Thumbnails