Thursday, July 7, 2011

Fourth of July {Part 2}

Our regular Fourth of July party was on July 2nd this year, so we had to come up with something great to do on the Fourth.

The Fourth of July is one of those holidays that I need to stay busy or I start to get a little homesick for family BBQ’s.  We came up with our own little family plan, and it turned out to be a great holiday.

The kids spent the morning in their new fort that Jonathan built in the woods by our house.  (I will post about this later)

They also enjoyed riding bikes and playing outside, while I did a little light housework.  I know it sounds exciting all ready.

Jonathan worked on his famous ribs for dinner.  My mouth was watering all day.

Dinner

I decided that I would put some effort in to making our dinner special.  I knew a few decorations would take our Fourth of July dinner from ok to exciting.  The kids love when I pull out the fancy glasses, and they were thrilled to see balloons.

I also made some cookies that were pink red, white, and blue.  (darn red food coloring)

Dinner was delicious.  We enjoyed ribs, salad, watermelon and cookies.

Dinner1

The kids even blew out a candle while we sang “Happy Birthday to America.”

Balloons

After dinner, the kids enjoyed playing with the balloons while we cleaned up.

Kids

Then we watched a movie together.  I love family movie nights.  We decided to watch The Voyage of the Dawn Treader/Narnia 3.  The kids must have loved it because they have been on a Narnia kick ever since and have watched 1, 2 and 3.

After the movie, we put Tess to bed because of her fear of fireworks.  See this face? 

Daddy and Tess Vintage

This was earlier in the day.  We went outside and the neighbors were lighting a few, and she freaked out.  They scared her to death. We  decided it would be more fun for us and her if she was in bed.

Tess and Dad 3

Then Jonathan put on the first annual Swenson fireworks show.  It was awesome.  He even taught Jex how to light a few.  The kids enjoyed it so much that I think it will have to be tradition.  Almost our whole street was lighting fireworks.  It was so much fun to be out there and watching all the different lights and colors.  I loved hearing all the sounds.  It felt like home.

Fireworks1

It was such a great day spent as a family.  Even though I miss being at home with our extended family, I wouldn’t trade the memories that we are creating with our own. We really do have so much to be thankful for.  One thing I learned on this holiday is that regardless of how much I miss my family and being “home”; I am thankful that America is the place I call HOME!!

Yes, I did scrapbook this event.  Want to see?

Go here.

5 comments:

KW said...

Love the scrapbook pages. I need to be more creative, I always do the same layout. Sounds like you guys made the most of the holiday. We were pretty much on our own the whole day too and it turned out to be really fun!

Letti said...

It sounds like your 4th was perfect. Your little girls face in that picture is priceless.

I just recently found your blog and I love it!

Stella said...

Although Tess was scared...the picture is priceless. In fact; gorgeous.
I am glad you had a wonderful day. Being away from an extended family ain't fun at all but you are so right; it's great to create memories with your own family. And I think you did a wonderful job! This a wonderful post; to read and to look at all the beautiful photos.

Simply Domestic said...

I love that you sang Happy birthday, America! Too cute! What precious memories you are making!

Krysta said...

It sounds like the perfect day! Your table looks so cute and festive. I'm glad you enjoyed fireworks. We really missed them here.

Love you pages too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails