Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Affection

For the last two weeks our home has been filled with a few extra loved ones.  My BFF, Krysta came for a little visit.  We even got to share a little time with her husband.  Then just a few days later my baby sister, Lindsay and her baby London came for a visit.  Just a few days later my mother and other sister joined us.

Girls 2

Can you say?  Girls Weekend!!! (Tess did not want to be left out of all the girly fun.)

We had such a wonderful visit.  While they were here, I learned a wonderful lesson.

I watched as my children ran up to each family member and gave them a big hug.  I watched as they laid there head on them, or wrapped their arms around them.  I smiled when they climbed up on their lap and settled in.

It was then that I realized how giving of affection children are.

DSC_0956

Each day I relish the moments that my kids greet Jonathan at the door with big hugs and kisses.

Jex and J   DSC_0365

The words, “I love you mom” are music to my ears.

mom and Ike

After the realization of this, I paid a little more attention.

I was amazed at how many times a day my kids showed some sort of affection to me, without my initiating it.

Mother I love you.   CIMG1658

Even little Tess will crawl up on my lap, or walk over and plant a slobbery kiss on my face.

Jonathan and Stella  DSC_0017

I even recognized how Jonathan and I use affection to help them feel better when they are upset, or to reinforce a particular rule.   We also use it when giving praise.

DSC_0302   Mom andjex

It taught me two important lessons:

1.  It is important to give affection to our kids.  They thrive on it, and it helps them feel secure.  It also teaches them to show affection.

2.  After watching how my kids can so easily show affection to other people outside our immediate family.  Most importantly how they give it so freely.  It reminded me of how I should be doing that in my own life.  Kids don’t think before they hug someone.  I, on the other hand question myself.  Should I hug my dear friend, should I not.  Is it okay to pat them on the back for a job well done?

So this is love 

After taking cues from my kids, I realized how important it is to show more affection.  Not only to my immediate family, but to other loved ones as well. 

Mom and tesscanvas copy

It was so much fun to look back through my pictures and remember how affection has been a big part of raising our children.

Even when Jonathan and I hear the sound, “ooo” because we are kissing in front of the children.

…and now a few weeks later then promised, my scrapbook pages and love notes to my children in honor of February.

Tess Valentine 2011 copytess Valentine 2011 2 copy

Isaac Valentines 2011 copyIsaac Valentines 2011 2 copy

Stella Valentine 2011 copyStella Valentine 2011 2 copy

Jex Valentines 2011 copyJex valentines 2011 2 copy

My challenge to you: write a love note to someone and show more affection then you normally do.

9 comments:

Kathy@mishmashmom said...

I love reading your posts, Andrea. They always make me try harder to be better. Thanks!

Christi @ Writing the Waves said...

Such a sweet post.

I am so impressed that you blog AND scrapbook!

I'm hoping to be able to print my blog into a book at some point, since I try to use it as my family scrapbook.

writingthewaves.com

KW said...

I loved being there! We had such a good time. It made me feel like a good aunt when they would come show affection. It made me realize they still know me even though I live so far away

Unknown said...

Beautiful post & pictures.

You do such a good job at putting things into words!

Jamie said...

I love your posts! You are such a great mama:)

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog and seeing your cute pictures. It inspires me to be a better mom. I have a random question for ya.

Where did you get that hat and flower that Stella is wearing in the pic of you and her? I have been looking to find something like that for a photo session.

Andrea said...

I bought the hat from a boutique several years ago. I bought the flower at Hobby Lobby and I added a clip with hot glue and clipped it to the hat.

Krysta said...

I love the affection that your kids give. They are so sweet! You and Jonathan have done a wonderful job teaching them that.

rebecca said...

Your photos are so beautiful Andrea...and those sweet kiddos! :) gorgeous. I haven't popped by your blog in a while & it was nice to drop in and 'catch up' a little! I was just thinking how lovely it would be to meet you IRL one day! Rebecca

Related Posts with Thumbnails