Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A yummy thought…

I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes with you. 

Chicken Curry 

Chicken Curry is one of my most favorite meals.

I put this little number together by combining my favorite parts from several different recipes.

I made this and took to a friend tonight.

It reminded me of one of my favorite gifts and an idea I came up with a few years ago.

Several Christmas’s ago, I made my parents a whole bunch of freezer meals.

For a month, I would make double of whatever we were having, and put it in freezer containers.

On Christmas morning, my parents opened a cooler full of my homemade love.

The meals were kept in their freezer for several months, and they were able to enjoy them when they didn’t feel like cooking.

It was one of my favorite gifts. 

My parents received a little piece of me, and I got to give from my heart.

I thought I would share this with you.  Now is the time to start thinking of Christmas gifts.

My goal this year is to make every gift that we give to others, and this is a great place to start.

What are your homemade gift ideas?

Chicken Curry

1/4 c. vegetable oil

1 large onion

2 cloves garlic

4 t. ginger

8 t. ground ginger

8 t. curry powder

2 t. cumin

1/4 t. turmeric

1/4 t. cayenne pepper

1/4 t. black pepper

3 t. salt

1 can petite diced tomatoes

1 C. water

1 chicken bouillon cube

8-12 chicken tenders or 4 chicken breasts

3-4 potatoes

1 yellow squash

2 cans coconut milk

Heat oil, and chook chopped onion until brown.  Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.  Add the rest of the spices and cook 1 more minute.  Add water, bouillon, thin sliced potatoes, can of tomatoes, and sliced squash.  Cook over medium heat 10-15 minutes until potato softens.  Add cut up pieces of chicken and simmer 15 more minutes.  Add coconut milk, and simmer 15 more minutes until thickens and chicken is cooked.  Serve over hot BASMATI rice.

HINT:  I like to lay out all my spices before I get going.  Chop all my veggies, and chicken.  Then everything is ready to dump in once you turn your pan on.

I would love to know what you think!!

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Love that idea! I think it is going to be scrapbooks for me this year. I am so far behind on my kids and they love them. So I have set up big tables in my basement, some of the neighbor girls are coming next week and I hope to work on them one day a week until each of my three will have a new book for Christmas. Or as much as I get done. I am thinking of going the digital route for grandparents. I love making things for Christmas, it is one of my very favorite parts of the holidays!

Unknown said...

we loved the dinner so much! it was so kind of you! what a great idea to do freezer meals for gifts! thanks again :)

Alison Woods said...

Great idea, I just might do it!

I love chicken curry but I hate the smell it leaves in my house for a week after! I'm going to take my electric skillet out in the garage and make it there.

Stacy said...

I am going to burn some cd's of Christmas music and make a cute little pouch for the holder with scrapbook paper and supplies, I am so excited to do this!! I know I will also do some food gifts, I am going to try your recipe!

Tiffany said...

That is such a wonderful idea! Also, this recipe sounds delicious. I think my husband will love it! Thanks for sharing it with me.

KW said...

I have been looking for a good curry recipe. I will have to give this one a try.

Pam said...

I loved that gift!! I think one of my favorite gifts of all time!! Anytime you want to repeat it I am game!! lol

Krysta said...

I was just thinking about your Curry the other day. I'm glad you posted that. Now I don't have to bug you when I need the recipe. Thanks for the Sweet and Sour Chicken btw. I am just now getting to my e-mail this week. I need to start thinking about Christmas gifts. Let's brainstorm next time we chat!

Michelle said...

Can't wait to try it! Thanks for posting, Andrea. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails