Sunday, July 11, 2010

Bedtime Story

Bedtime Story

Sometimes bed time at our house goes a little like this:

“Mom, can we stay up late?”

“No, not tonight.”

“Please! We will give you a massage.”

“Well, okay then.”

Then Stella proceeds to set up her “Shop” in my room.

I get the full treatment.

Foot rubs, back rubs, scalp massage.

Sometimes I even get my hair and makeup done.

Stella is marvelous at massage, and combing my hair.

Isaac and Jex always get a little distracted, but Stella just keeps on going.

During my massage on one particular night, the boys had gotten a little distracted.  Jonathan decided to let them have a snack.  Stella decided to join them, but promised to come back.

I laid there in the silence of my room.  Thinking to myself, “I am so glad I let them stay up.”

I was enjoying myself so much.

I particularly enjoyed the moment when Isaac was rubbing my legs with lotion.  Stella was massaging my feet, and Jex was reading to me from The BFG.

It was one of those surreal moments.

The serenity kept on going.

After the boys went on their way, Stella wanted to make it even better.  She dimmed the lights, and turned on my favorite CD; Mindy Gledhill.

Once she left to go have her snack I was left contemplating how great my kids are.  How wonderful my life is.  How much I love my bedroom.  How much I love my Mindy CD.  How blessed I am.

How long has it been since you had a quite moment to take it all in?

This was my serene view:

Mood lamp

Can you picture it?

Candlesticks

Can you hear my singing along to Mindy?  Here is a my favorite Mindy song.  Her words helped make me the person I am.  I reflected on that too.

Chandelier

After much thought and reflection, I felt a small hand begin rubbing my back again.

I had drifted off to sleep.  Stella came back as promised.

Then the two of us drifted off to sleep together.

3 comments:

Dave and Lindsay said...

Wow I am jealous! Your own little spa! What amazing kids you have! You are an amazing mom! I hope to be able to be a good mom like you!

Krysta said...

What a sweet story. You really are getting good at enjoying those small moments and appreciating them for what they are. You are lucky to have sweet kids and they are lucky to have you.

Brunson's said...

You can send them my way! Bridger and Taylor could use some good lessons on those skills. Sounds good about right now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails