Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Spring Wreath... A vintage take on spring.

I am locked up at home, with potty training and sorts.

Every morning when I go out to water my flowers I cringe when I see this pinecone wreath hanging on my door.Lamp post

Although I love it, I just don't think it fairs well with my flowering bushes and pots.

Because there is no going out for me. I can't risk Isaac peeing on some stores beautiful flooring. I wanted a new wreath so bad that I made do with what I had.

Luckily, my MIL had loaded me up with a stash while we were visiting in Utah.

I had a very small grapevine wreath on hand.  It is the perfect size for this project.  I am pretty sure that I found it at Dollar tree several years back.DSC_0085

I wrapped it in white muslin to cover the wreath.

Then I took some wide lace from my MIL and began doing a running stitch by hand. 

pop 2

Once I got it gathered to my liking, I proceeded to  hot glue it on the wreath.  It made the actual size of the wreath much larger.DSC_0086

Then I picked a thinner lace, gathered it, and added another layer towards the middle.DSC_0088

Next, came a strip of the same white muslin that I used in the beginning.  I started by cutting a small notch and then ripping down both sides until I got a two inch strip.

I then did another running stitch down the middle.  You could use your sewing machine.  I did mine by hand because I did not want to get my machine out.pop

DSC_0002

Once it was gathered, I began to roll it into a circle so that it would create a flower.  I hand stitched it in the back.

Then I made two flowers out of satin and burned edges.  I cut five circles for each.  I used a lighter to burn the edges and make them curl.  DSC_0004

Then off to my button stash(thanks to my MIL for adding to it), and I found these little copper gems to go in the center.

I then placed the flowers where I liked them, and hot glued them down.

I added a black lace bow, and some black ribbon for the hanger.

DSC_0006

There you have it.  A wreath, made for FREE, that is light and reminds me of spring.

Wreath on Door

I also love the vintage quality of it.

Vintage Spring Wreath

I hope you can use one or more of these ideas to make something for yourself.

P.S.  I have been using the flowers for pins and bows, and they are just adorable.  They have such a handmade vintage quality about them.

P.P.S.  I linked up to Just a Girl Show and Share Day.

4 comments:

Lorinda said...

love, love, love it. Woould look so cute in a girl's bedroom! Glad you can use some of my mom's treasures!

Ανεράιδα said...

The most beautiful wreath I have ever seen!!!!

Krysta said...

Your door is now ready for spring! Super cute!

Kelli W said...

What a fun vintage looking wreath! I love the flowers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails