Monday, March 1, 2010

What am I cooking this week? Semi-Final Winners of the Crock pot Contest

Here are the top three four  semi-final winners.  I just couldn't narrow it down to just 3.

There were so many great recipes.  Thanks to all who participated.  I am working on a compiling them all.  I will then make it available to all those who need some great crock pot recipes.  

I figure they have to be wonderful if they have already been tested by all of you.

Sent in by:

Kara Eastham

Apricot Chicken

(aka: Hawaiian Chicken)

1 Cup Apricot Jam

8 oz. Russian Dressing (Catalina will work if you can’t find Russian)

1 Pkg. Lipton onion soup mix

8 Chicken Breast (5-6 if you are using Sam’s clubs large defrosted-frozen breasts)

1 Can pineapple rings, drained (or fresh pineapple cut into rings if it is on sell)

Uncle Bens Wild and long grain rice

Mix Jam, dressing, and soup mix together. Place chicken in crock pot, pour mixture over top. Place pineapple rings on top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. 1 hour prior to serving, shred chicken with fork and continue to cook in crock pot so that the chicken absorbs additional juices. Serve over a prepared batch of wild and long grain rice.

Sent in by:

Yasemin Rice

Chicken Cordon Bleu

(the Alfredo sauce is what makes it awesome!)


8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 tsp salt

1/8 tsp white pepper (I just used black pepper)

1 tsp dried thyme leaves

8 thin slices boiled ham

2 onions, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 (16 oz) bag baby carrots

1 (16 oz) jar Alfredo sauce

1 (10 oz) can cream of chicken soup

2 cups shredded Swiss cheese

1. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and thyme. Wrap a slice of ham around each breast and secure with toothpicks.

2. Place onion, garlic, and carrots in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Top with wrapped chicken breasts. I decided to cook my veggies in my steamer and serve them on the side instead.

3. In medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve chicken and carrots with sauce.

I served my chicken on top of brown rice with the sauce on the top.

 

I received this recipe from two people.  It was sent in word for word the same, so I knew I would pick this one right away.  If two families love it then it has to be good.

Sent in by:

Heidi Parson & Elise Ford

(in 2 seperate emails)

Southwest Chicken

Nachos

1 small bag frozen corn

1 can black beans-drained

1 (16 oz.) jar MEDIUM salsa

2 large frozen, bonless chicken breasts

shredded cheese

avocados

sour cream

chopped cilantro

tortilla chips

Pour bag of frozen corn in bottom of crockpot. Place frozen chicken breasts on top of corn and cover with rinsed and drained black beans and jar of medium salsa. Cook on high for 1 hour, and then on low for 4 hours. Shred chicken with forks. Serve with tortilla chips and add toppings to individual servings.
**It is very important that you use MEDIUM salsa in this. Mild simply isn't flavorful enough. Be sure to serve with tortilla chips, and not tortillas. The salty crunchy chips make this so good!

 

One last recipe, I know I only said 3, but it just had to be 4.

Sent in by:

Camille Cordero

Chicken Lasagna

Crock Pot Recipe

2 (10.5 oz) cans condensed reduced-fat cream of chicken

1/2 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and

squeezed

1 (9 oz) package frozen diced cooked chicken

1 (8 oz) carton reduced fat sour cream

1 cup 1% milk

1/2 cup (2 oz) Parmesan cheese

1/3 cup chopped onion (optional)

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

9 uncooked lasagna noodles

Cooking Spray

1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella

Combine first 10 ingredients in large bowl and stir well. Coat CP with spray and place 3 uncooked lasagna noodles in bottom of cooker. Break noodles in half as necessary to fit. Spread 1/3 spinach mixture over noodles; sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella. Layer 3 more noodles, half remaining spinach mixture, and 1/3 cup mozzarella. Top with remaining noodles and spinach. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with lid; cook on high 1 hour and reduce to low 5 hours or until done.

 

Once again, Thanks to all those who particpated.  Watch for the Final Winner to be posted Next Monday.

I will also be getting those other recipes together to share.

You are all awesome, and have helped make my cooking much easier.

5 comments:

Beth Curtis said...

yay! I am glad you posted the recipes. thank you! I can't wait to hear what your family thinks.

KW said...

Yay for Yasemin!!!
I am so happy she sent one in. She is one of my favorite people!

Krysta said...

They sound so yummy. It makes me hungry. I can't wait to see all the rest of them!

Jenn said...

I am excited to try some of these recipes, thanks for sharing them! I hope your lesson went well, I bet it did!
Have a great day!

Kara said...

Woohoo! If I was good a bribery...I think I would give it a try! Hope you like the Apricot Chicken!

Related Posts with Thumbnails