Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What's in a Home?

I haven't taken the time to share our Holiday festivities.  I am going to use pictures to tell the story of what we did. I will start by telling you that we went  to be with the Moes family(Krysta and Casey)  They are our best friends, and the closest family we have.  They live just 7 or so hours away.  We spent nine days with them, and it was wonderful.  We had a great time.

I had a good cry on the way home.  It felt like I was leaving home again.  Isn't it great, how friends and family can feel like home, no matter where you are. It has been no secret that I am having a hard time adjusting to our new home, but I am trying.  After my trip to Utah to visit family, it got worse.  It was nice for me to be with loved ones again for a week or so.  This time will pass, and I am going to make it my mission to make this feel like home.  For now, I am thankful for vacations, friends, and family that bring the nostalgic feeling of HOME back again.  I am okay to cry for an hour or two; if I get to have a few days of HOME.  It is a good trade.

I have discovered that HOME isn't always where you live, it is where you have been and who you are becoming.  We just purchased our first home.  I have been waiting for this for ten years, and it does feel like home to me.  I love it.  However, when I step outside the door I am not at home.  How do I  make this place my home?  I am going to find a way.  In the meantime, I am going to remember what I am learning about home.  Am I making our house a home for our children?  Is this where they want to come back too?  I hope so, just as I long to go back to my child hood home.  I am so thankful that Heavenly Father blessed us to have friends that are just 7 hours away so I can feel a little piece of home on a more regular basis.  I wish I could make it back to Utah that often, but for now this will do.  To all our family and friends... oh how I miss you.  Especially this time of year.  So now, I will wipe away my tears and get on to my picture story.

THANKSGIVING...

CIMG4515

Nine beautiful days to spend with this man... NO WORK, only relaxation and play!!

 

CIMG4508 CIMG4541

 Time with his children.

Thanksgiving at the Moes 008CIMG4511Thanksgiving at the Moes 007

   Best Friends Forever.. These two have such a special bond.

CIMG4500

 The best Dad's we know; sleeping in a tent in November with 40 degree temps, and playing cards.

CIMG4528Thanksgiving at the Moes 010

Homemade Placemats

CIMG4536  CIMG4529 CIMG4530

Thanksgiving at the Moes 018 Thanksgiving at the Moes 014 DIN DIN... with all our favorite food. (I am only in it for the sweet potatoes... I love the rest, but oh how I love my sweet potatoes.)Thanksgiving at the Moes 021

Family ... is where

 HOME is.

6 comments:

Leila said...

Again and again I am reminded that it was nothing short of inspiration for me to find this blog. I KNOW what you are feeling. I have lived in the same area of San Diego for 10 years, and while there are many things I love about it, it has NEVER been home to me. I have had countless friends come into my life here (like your sister) and leave. Year after year, I wonder when we will be able to move and year after year, I am reminded that for now, this where the Lord wants me. While it doesn't make it easy -at all - knowing I am where I am meant to be, makes it bearable. I long to be in a ward with countless youth and a strong youth program. There are wards like that a short 20 miles from here. But for now, we will stay, because we are meant to. And like you, I will make the best of it. I will make it home for my beautiful children. I will continue to pray tirelessly for their spiritual safety.

Whew... long comment. Sorry. I can just connect with you on this. Kristin and talked endlessly about this. When I mention to my friend Holli, that I am living the refiners fire, she reminds me how refined I will be when it over... Boy, isn't that the truth?!?

Thanks for this post. I don't feel so alone after reading it.

Emily said...

How great to have friends as family! Our best friends in Dallas truly are family to us. We have spent many Thanksgivings and Christmas' together. We miss them so much and try to see them every six months! Whenever I would travel to Utah from Saba, I would plan a stop-over in Dallas on my itinerary so I could see them! When we move to Kansas, we'll only be about 8 hours away, so I am glad to have "family" relatively close by as well!

As a side note, was Issac taking the picture? :) Great photographer if so!

Michelle said...

Wonderful post! You inspired me to go ahead and do my Thanksgiving weekend post that is halfway finished. :)
I am so grateful you moved here. Sorry if it was for me! That's how I feel like it is sometimes. :) You are an amazing friend, and I love you.

Jerald and Lorene said...

Thanks so much for your recent posts! It helps me and grandpa feel connected with the family while you are so far away. It appears that you had a GREAT Thanksgiving holiday. I'm glad.
Lorene

HLFackrell said...

Looks like you all had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

Krysta said...

I miss you! I'm glad that we live close by eachother to make holidays special. It wouldn't have been the same without you guys!

Our kids look like they all could be related!

Related Posts with Thumbnails