Friday, December 19, 2008

The Mother Mary

My dad sent me a link to this beautiful video tonight.  I am sure it is partly because this is his favorite song, but it is also a sweet reminder of why we celebrate this season.silentnight

I have been reflecting so much on the birth of the Savior.  My thoughts this year have been about the wonderful gift that he gave to us, but also about his beautiful mother, Mary.  This video reminded me of her. She seems so peaceful and wonderful.

I have been reflecting this last week on what she might have gone through.  I don't think I have ever truly REFLECTED on this before.  I have thought about it, but never really to deeply.

 swindle_She-shall-bring-forth-a-son Mary has  been a source of strength to me in the past weeks.  As I think about what it is that I have been asked to endure as a mother; and then silently compare to what she was asked to do.

I am sure there were times when she asked, "Are you sure I am the one to do this?"  I think we all ponder that at times in our struggles.

What a magnificent and strong woman she must have been.  I am adding her to my list of women that I admire and look up too.  She is my beacon of strength and courage as I tackle this road of raising our Heavenly Father's children.  I can share that similarity with Mary. be.it.unto.me  We have both been given the gift of children from our Father in Heaven, and then asked  to; protect, watch, care and teach his precious little ones. 

I am sure there were many prayers uttered that night in her behalf as she gave birth to a son in a stable.  I suppose many from her own mouth.  Prayer is one more gift that we share.

I  am thankful for the reminder that even though we lived many years apart, I can still draw strength from a woman with deep history.  Thank you Mary for your example and courage, and some of the lessons that you taught me this month.

(Artwork by Liz Lemon Swindle)

3 comments:

JW said...

I also think a lot about Mary during Christmas. I think I ponder a lot about it because I don't know if I could do that! There is another video that is awesome to watch that reminds me of Mary. It's the Nativity video that came with the Ensign of couple of years ago, it also has Mr. Krueger's Christmas on it. Put the volume on mute and play Breathe of Heaven by Amy Grant right when the video starts, it is amazing!
-Kristin

Jamie said...

That was really cool. Thanks Andrea, I absolutley LOVE that picture of Mary holding and kissing baby Jesus. It's my favorite. Hope you guys have a great Christmas!

Eileen said...

What awesome posts. I haven't been here for awhile. You are a doll.

Hope you had a lovely holiday(s)!

Related Posts with Thumbnails