Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Alphabet Summer

This summer I wanted to do a refresher course on the letters of the alphabet. I wanted both of the kids to be well prepared for school. They also do so much better when we have something planned out for the day. I wanted to keep it simple, and fun. So... we are doing a letter a day, or every other day. It has been so easy, and relaxed. I am usually planning it out at the last minute. It has been successful so far.

I pick a letter, and then we do some sort of fun activity that goes along with that letter. Then the kids practice writing that letter, and also talk about the sound that letter makes. The kids have loved it. Here are the letters we have done so far.

M.... is for Movie(Mary Poppins), and then Macaroni Art.
(we cuddled up one rainy afternoon and watched Mary Poppins, and then the kids drew a picture and covered it in Macaroni) V... is for Volcano.
(we made a baking soda and Vinegar Volcano. The kids thought this was really cool.)
C... is for Clean, and Cards.
(the kids helped me clean the bathroom, and then I let them use my scrapbook stuff to make cards)I plan on posting the rest of the alphabet for my journal. So... just bear with me. Any good ideas for letters like Q, Y, and others... please let me know.

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a wonderful idea! I love it!

Alesa Larsen said...

That is a really cute idea. For q you could have a quiet day or hour. The kids would have to do all their activities quietly.

Carrie said...

What a great idea! Q could be for quiznos & you get to go out to lunch. :) That sounds really yummy right now :)

Donna's Next Chapter Art said...

Love the alphabet journal and activities! Let's see... Q for quilt and each one could make some paper squares and join all of them together. Or you could do fabric crayon quilt squares.

Y for yummy and prepare a tasty food. Then take photos of the prep and the tasting!

Bre said...

That is too cute, what a great idea. I am really running out of craft time ideas for my kids. So if you have some more fun ones as well, please share and I will do the same:) Your kids are cute they look like they are having a blast!

Dave and Lindsay said...

Why are you always so creative? You are seriously going to have to help me and give me ideas when we start having kids!

Fords said...

I read about this idea a few weeks ago and I love it! I have been toying with the idea of trying to teach Macy the alphabet now that she can talk pretty well. These little buggers are so smart that she really probably could learn it if we tried!

Danielle James said...

What a fun idea. I bet the kids love all the activities you have planned for them!

Tara said...

How fun! Makes me miss our little homeschool preschool - but what you're doing now sounds so much more enjoyable (and less stressful!!) :)

Krysta said...

What a fun idea for the summer...I love your pictures!!

Leila said...

Fantastic idea! I love the idea of quiet for "Q." You could whisper and tip toe around. Maybe even make a "quiet quilt" that they could snuggle up with at night. All that is coming to mind for "Y" is yo-yo. I have seen little wooden ones in Michael's that they could paint.

Amy said...

I just wanted to tell you your house is beautiful and you are full of great ideas. Please come to Vernal and rub off on me for a while. I do check out your blog and am truly impressed, even though I am usually jumping from one thing to the next and don't take time to comment. As for your ABC summer--try yellow day for Y, quack for Q and learn about ducks!
I loved planning alphabet activities when I was teaching Kindergarten. Think of you guys often--Love ya, Amy

Jessica said...

I like the Quizno's idea for Q--you could also do things quickly (like chores & eating). Y could be for frozen yogurt. X...hmmmm...do you have a xylophone? Or you could have your hubby bring home x-rays from the hospital to look at and then they could draw their own skeletons. I was thinking about doing this this summer, but didn't quite get around to it :( Maybe next summer....

Pam said...

I wish that I could take the credit for the great mom that you are!! You make me tired!! Kristin said that you are the sister that she loves to hate!!! lol jk

Pam said...

Dave says take them to see a yak or something with yo-yos!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails