Tuesday, June 10, 2008

To paddle or not to paddle...

I thought this was so interesting that I had to quickly jump on and share. Yesterday I went to register Jex for Kindergarten. I was filling out all the forms, and I come to one that just blew me away. It is a paragraph stating their policy on bad behavior. At the end of this paragraph is a line that says, "I give you permission to paddle my child." This was followed by a line for my signature. Then following that was, "I do not give you permission to paddle my child, but understand that he/she will then be suspended."

I was shocked... we go from paddling to suspension. WOW!! What extreme differences, and in my mind the paddling is worse. So of course, I signed I DO NOT ALLOW you to paddle my child. Jex is such great kid that I know I would never have to worry about it. However, if I did, I would rather him be suspended and I be the one to handle the punishment. I really don't like the idea of someone else spanking my child.

This made me think about quite a few things. First of all, maybe this is happening in all schools. I don't know this is my first school age child. Second, I have a feeling this is the way they do it in the South. If is it, I will have to get used to dealing with this sort of thing, although I do not agree. Third, let me state that I am not against spanking and we have used it a time or two. I think that this sort of discipline should be handled by the parent in their own home... a home which feels safe. That could be so awful, almost invading of personal space for a small child. Lastly, I am sad that this is what it has come to.

Now, you may all think I am thinking just a little too hard about this. This is my first school age boy, and I am so sad to have him away from me for 7 1/2 hours. AHHH!!! Now, I am just a little bit more nervous thinking that he may need a paddle. I am interested to find out what they believe deserves paddling. Well, I will leave my thoughts here, and quit thinking about this small issue. One which I will probably never really deal with, because I really do have great obedient children.
Let me know if this is a policy in your school....

12 comments:

Calli Potter said...

I totally AGREE! Taylor has definitly had a spanken or two, but I would NOT be comfortable having someone else spank her. I just don't think she'd be able to understand why the teacher was hitting her. What happened to time-outs?

Jessica said...

Wow--Arkansas is really back woods country! There is NO paddling in the 3 states I've lived in--Washington, Ohio & Kansas. In fact, in Washington you are only allowed to hit your own child on the bottom (and only on the bottom) 3 times before it's abuse. Here in OP they have the "safe seat". I can't remember the last time I heard of a teacher paddling a child in school. I remember when I was in middle school back in WA--that was when they outlawed it--when I was in middle school! They are WAY behind the times! I would be VERY curious to know what deserves a paddle--I think they should have it clearly stated to you so there are no surprises. Your idea of what deserves a paddle might be entirely different from what they think. Good luck--I hate public schools!

Krysta said...

That is crazy! When I think of paddling children at school, I think of the timeframe of 'Anne of Green Gables'...ancient! You are right about spanking...it's called for at home, sparingly, but only at home and only by the parents. I can't even imagine feeling comfortable with my parents paddling my kids. When you learn more about this, I want to hear it.

Stephanie said...

I can't believe it! Here the teacher would lose their job if they even think about laying a hand on a child. It must be an Arkansas thing. I can't believe Jex has kindergarten for 7 hours. That's a long day for a little guy, but I know he'll do awesome. Sending your first one to school is a little emotional. But it's SO fun to see them grow! So glad you got moved. And I can't wait to see pictures of your house

Fords said...

I think that public schools are great, but I do agree that I wouldn't want anyone else paddling my child. I have actually not heard of that happening in schools around here at all - I am really surprised at this. Although, there are times that I would like to "paddle" (or punch) my students:)lol

Boyd said...

I cannot believe that there are schools out there that would still even use paddling. I thought that was just back in the day... like the days of when my grandmother was in school. that is crazy. and you are not being too hard on the issue. i would be really shocked as well.

Tara said...

Wow - crazy ol' Arkansas! I'm amazed it's even an option. Surprising the difference in the cultural climate just a few hours south...
I share your opinions 100% -- I'm sure Jex will be fine, and he'll do great in school. I hope the Arkansans can keep up with him. :)

Jerald and Lorene said...

I checked the blog after I talked with Jonathan this morning and he told me about this 'paddle' thing. I didn't realize this was still legal anywhere in the US. After teaching teens for 20 years, I can say there are times when you would like to smack them! But that's for parents to do. Nobody had better 'paddle' our little Jex!! Even his parents run the risk of getting into trouble with Grandma if they spank him! Although I agree with Andrea that it can help a parent to get the child's attention if used appropriately. Grandma Lorene

KW said...

Wow, that is absolutely crazy. Although I would have liked to paddle a couple of my students, haha!

Alesa Larsen said...

Wow, I have not heard this before. Who knew they still did that. I think is just Arkansas. Good Luck in the South.

Alli said...

That is so funny because I had that same experience last year. I was blown away that they still paddle the kids out here. I know it seems weird but the kids are so well behaved here. Maybe because they know they will get a woopin'!

Donna's Next Chapter Art said...

I taught school in Kansas for 22 years and only retired in 2004. Physical punishment is illegal in KS schools. I'm shocked paddling exists anywhere in US schools. Try to volunteer at the school occasionally. That will help you learn more about the atmosphere there and you'll build relationships with the staff.

Related Posts with Thumbnails