Monday, June 30, 2008

Confessions of an OCD housewife!!

I must say that I can get over the top in the organization of my life. I do believe that it helps me to stick to a routine and a schedule. My kids are so accustomed to it, and function better when we stick to a plan. I wanted to share my latest in organization.


Now that we own a home, and have a house payment; I am on a strict budget. I am so tired of coming home from the grocery store and realizing I forgot something. It also bugs me when we run out of something before I plan on going back. So I devised a plan, and I hope it works.

I compiled a list of what we eat on a regular basis in two weeks. I made a list. Then I made a list of the items that I like to have on hand on my shelf, and also a list of all of the household items that we use. I will use this list as a resource on grocery shopping day. I will circle the items we need, and then we will have enough of the usual items for two weeks, and I will not forget anything. This list is also full of key words just to remind me of the things we are out of. For instance, we may be out of children's Tylenol. The keyword being baby medicine. I can write next to it on the list what specific kind I need.

Before I go to the store, I can make a quick run around the house, and make sure we are good on all of these items. Then I will make my menu. There will be random little items that are not on the Staple List. These items will be filled in on the back of the page. This will be a double sided document with slots for the odds and ends items on the back.

I also made a Sam's Club list so I won't forget when I happen to go there for the important items that we only buy at Sam's Club. That list may grow as I figure out more of what I want to buy there.

I am so excited to have this in order. I am sure you are all reading this and laughing because you all know I am insane. But, I will be smiling when I am saving gas, and only make a trip to the store twice a month. I am on a budget, and I think this will really save me. It will help eliminate unnecessary spending.

I have attached a copy of both documents. Maybe this can help your trips to the store as well.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Andrea! I'm laughing but only because I did the exact same thing! I love my lists. It does work great. When I stop using them or forget about it I definitely feel less organized.

Brunson's said...

Already do this. I just went shopping for the next 2 to 3 weeks. I have my meals all planned out. I think it is the only way to do it. I am not a big fan of grocery shopping though so I would rather go big and do something else. The funny thing is my cart is always packed and the cashier always gives me the craziest look. In Idaho or Utah the cashier wouldn't even double glance. I just think that is funny. I also know that if you shop this way you will save money!!!

Karin said...

That is too funny! I totally have done this before. I probably should start again.(: Your house looks great! My next house I'll have to hire you to decorate.

Stephanie said...

I totally understand! Try using coupons now too and you'll be amazed at what you can save. I haven't been as good lately, but when I was really using coupons I had my grocery budget down to $150/month, including diapers and paper products. I need to get back "into the groove". I hate to go grocery shopping, but I try to turn it into a little game.

Tara said...

I do this, too!! Do you ever feel like figuring out all of this home management stuff is like re-inventing the wheel?? I wish my jobs as wife/mother/housekeeper/nurse/maid/cook, etc etc came with instruction manuals! Of course, figuring it out and adapting to fit your family is a little satisfying. :)

Krysta said...

I do this in my own little way too. I think you will save money for sure. Not just in gas, but I always tend to buy a little extra when I go to the store for some randon thing. Especially when I only needed one thing. Who wants to go to the store to buy just one thing, it all of the sudden turns into 10!

Good plan sister!

Pam said...

I can't enlarge them when I try!! I want to look at the lists closer!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails