Monday, December 24, 2012

J and A and Co. Question and Answer

I have been getting lost of questions lately. I thought I would answer a few right here.

1. When using the token system; please explain the cashing in process.

Photobucket

We try to cash in our tokens every Monday night. I say try because we do it when I am awesome and remember. During the week the kids are cashing them in all the time. They spend them left and right to play the computer and watch a show on Netflix and etc. On Monday, if they have any left and would like to cash them in for money they can. Each token is worth .5 cents. So 20 tokens will earn them a dollar.

I then write down that amount in their bank account, and they are welcome to spend it when we are out and about.(after they pay tithing first, of course) I don’t have money exchange hands at this point. I hate that when we are out and they want to buy something that they don’t have the money with them. This way I buy it and subtract it out of the bank. I carry the bank slip in my wallet at all times. The money they do receive is their tithing money. They then are responsible to pay that to our bishop. Tithing is 10% of what you earn in our church. So they receive one dime for every dollar they earn; and I put .90 cents in their bank account.

As a side note on tokens: I posted this token idea soon after we started tokens and we have been doing it for two years now. So everything I share in the post from 2010 is not really what I take and give tokens for. I have totally relaxed. I hope you can use it in a way that works for your family. For example; I don’t make them pay for treats. I didn’t really love that concept.

2. How are your stockings hung on your mantel?

Photobucket

I use small clear command hooks. I put them on the under side of the mantle, and then hang the stocking from it. They are pretty invisible.

I have also put them on the top part of the mantle in our other house. That worked great too.

Photobucket

3. Will you post your pancake recipe?

Sure. I would love too.

Photobucket

Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes

4 eggs beaten

1/2 C. of oil or 1/2 C. applesauce (sometimes I do a 1/4 of each)

2 C. buttermilk

1 C. milk, or if you want them really tasty(but also bad for you) 1 C. cream or half and half

1. tsp. salt

1 tsp. soda

1 T. baking powder

1 C. whole wheat flour

1 C. oat flour(oats ground in your food processor) if you don’t have a way to grind oats just use wheat flour

1 C. oatmeal

I combine all the ingredients into my blendtec blender and let it do it’s magic. I mix the oatmeal(not the oat flour; just the oatmeal) by hand.

If you don’t have a blendtec you could just do it in a mixer or by hand.

Combine the wet ingredients first and then add the dry.

Let the batter sit for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.

Cook on a griddle sprayed with cooking spray.

Serve with syrup.

4. What is your bread recipe and will you share?

Photobucket

I would love to share my bread recipe. However, it is not my own.

The awesome ladies at pantry secrets came up with it.

I do think it is the best bread recipe ever, and it so worth buying the DVD to learn how to make it.

This recipe uses all shelf stable ingredients. It contains no milk, eggs, oil, or butter. It is amazing.

The best part is that it is start to finish in one hour.

Probably the best bread I have ever had; all my friends seem to think so too.(wink, wink)

Photobucket

I use it all the time for pizza, cinnamon rolls, rolls, artisan bread, and sandwich bread.

I believe the best way to start this process is to buy the starter kit. You can find it right here.

5. There is certainly a weight epidemic for our children in this day and age, eating right is only half the answer. Any suggestions on how to get our kids engaged in some sort of physical activity? It is easy when we are busy to put on Netflix and walk away. Before we know it 2 hours have passed. Any suggestions on how to get them moving when we are busy?

One of our favorite things to do at our house is have a dance party. It is certainly fun for all, and a great workout.

I have also enrolled my kids in a kids Zumba class. They go once a week, and really love it. They also attend my Zumba class and often times are doing it on the sidelines. If this isn’t offered in your area, your kids could take swimming, gymnastics, soccer or other activities to get them moving.

Photobucket

(this picture was taken at Halloween Zumba)

I also think it is important for our kids to see us get physically active. My kids enjoy watching me do Zumba, and for years I did my exercise at home with their little feet in my way.

When I am busy, I sometimes turn on one of my exercise videos for the kids. They think this is a hoot. They really enjoy it, and it entertains them for 30 minutes.

Another idea I have used when they ask me to play the computer, I tell them they can after they run 2 laps around the block.

Photobucket

There you have it.

Thanks for all your questions.

1 comments:

Letti said...

I didn't know they have Zumba for kids. When we move in April I am going to have to look for that. My girls would love it. Even though they are very active I think it will be fun for them. Especially because they love to dance.

Related Posts with Thumbnails