Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Speaking of Comfort...

The post below this one is all about Isaac's comforts in life.  Now, I have to share a story of how my kids tried to comfort me yesterday.

IT HAS BEEN A ROUGH MONTH FOR ME!!  I am just going to lay it all out there for you.  No pretending.  Sometimes I think that as bloggers we portray this amazingly happy wonderful life.  This is expected since we blog about the good things that happen to us.  Our children's milestones, funny things they say(such as this post), and ah-ha moments that we have along the way.  It is so good that we have blogging that allows us to capture the good in our lives but.... lets face it; it's not always good.  It isn't always a walk in the park. 

Well... I haven't been walking in any parks.  I have had some struggles this month.  It's nothing to worry about, I will bounce back.  But for now... let  me wallow in it.

Anyway on to the kids... and the comfort...  When Jex came home from school yesterday, Stella mentioned, "Mommy was sad today."  At that moment Jex walked over to me and said: 

"So what happened here in the 7 hours that I was away?  Is there anything that you need to talk about?"

I proceeded to be honest, because I think honesty is good.  I think it is good for our kids to see that we have real concerns and feelings too. 

I mentioned things like: "Mommy feels lonely."  "I don't have many friends here."(which I do, I was trying to explain things in a way that they might understand)  (In my world, it's I don't have time to spend with my friends here.) "I miss my Mommy in Utah, and your daddy while he is at work all the time."

Jex in all his wisdom said, "you do to have friends."  I said, "who?"  He named a few.  Then I said, "You are right, but I don't have anytime to spend with them."

He said, "I know mom, you are busy taking care of us, but..(and here comes my problem solver in action) you could also go out after you put us to bed, and see a movie with your friends.  Make sure it is a night that dad is not on call." 

Then at the exact same time Stella and Jex said simultaneously, "see, you don't need to feel lonely."

I am thankful for my little comforters.  It is so nice to know that your children love you, and want to help in any way that they can.  I am glad that they are both sensitive enough to recognize when their crazy old mother need some words of comfort.

I enjoy getting advice from a 4 year old, and six year old.

I think I am going to take their advice.

Anyone want to go to the movie?  

13 comments:

Brunson's said...

Andrea
I would love to go with you if I were there. I know how you feel about no time. I am struggling in that area at the moment too. I feel like my kids are both at such a time demanding age. I feel like I have not gotten very many breaks from motherhood lately and feel like I haven't gotten anytime to do any craft or hardly getting my house together how I would like it. I am constantly trying to remind myself that this busy stage in life won't be forever and to treasure it. Keep your head up and just know you are doing what you are supposed to do. I always think of it as my kids and husband are truly my best friends. I sure miss having ya next door!!!

Anonymous said...

I need a girls night as well. Lets meet half way and do something. Wouldn't that be nice. If we could just jump into are car with out a care in the world. I miss ya call me anytime.

Fords said...

I hope that things start to look up for you soon...I think we can all relate to not having enough time for everything we want to do. I know how hard it would be for me to be away from family though! I don't think I could do it.

Dave and Lindsay said...

That is just way too cute!! And I would love to go to a movie with you! LOL

Becky said...

I'm there! (For the movie, I mean.)Jex is such a sweetie. I have been thinking about you lots since Jaron told me Jonathan's working about 80 hours or so a week. When Jaron was working about 65 when we first moved here I felt like he was NEVER home so I can only imagine your situation. Call me anytime, I would love to jabber with you. :-D Better yet, come for a visit. We're not THAT far away!! ;-D

Emily said...

That is so sweet! I'll go to the movies with you! My gosh, Jex's thought process makes him sound mature enough to watch Stella and Issac!

Calli Potter said...

I'd love to get together... I just wish you were back across the street! We should do a roadtrip and meet halfway sometime and do a big reunion party!

Leila said...

Aww...I am sorry you are sad. Mommy-hood can be lonely, that is for sure. I also know how hard it is to live somewhere when your heart just isn't in it. I hope things get easier soon. I could use a movie too....

Michelle said...

Oooh, me! Pick me! (Actually, I think I'm the first LOCAL friend to comment!:)
Just today I walked out of Hobby Lobby and SMELLED that amazing El Porton smell, and remembered we were supposed to go have that yummy appetizer there together. . . .Remember that?
So let's do it! El Porton and a movie, it is. :)

Krysta said...

Ohhhh...how sweet they are! Sometimes they know just the right thing to say. I love when your kids look at you like a real person, even if it is just for a second.

Pam said...

My flight is booked and I will be there soon, so decide the movie and we will go see it!!

Stephanie & Brad Bishop said...

What sweet kids you have. The loneliness factor continues throughout being a mom and doctor's wife and friend and daughter. I thought at this stage I would have a fun social life, however, most events I attend involve supporting my children with their merging talents and activities. It all goes so fast--I now SAVOR every moment I have with them. Although this blog thing gets addictive. Hang in there--we are all in this boat together.

HLFackrell said...

I would so go if I were there. I totally understand those feelings. I feel lonely quite often, because it's difficult for me to extend myself. I love that your kids are so aware of what's going on. They are pretty with it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails