Wednesday, February 1, 2012

{You are my Sunshine} Gallery Wall

I started working on this wall near the end of September.  It has taken me until now to finish up all the little details with it, and fill in the gaps.  I am so excited to share it with you.

Sunshine photo wall-1 

This wall is what I see just before I turn to go into my bedroom.  It makes me happy.  It was also the perfect place for something like this.

Sunshine photo wall-2

When putting this wall together, I needed to keep it inexpensive.

Sunshine photo wall-13

See that sweet 3 month old Tess.  Sweet Sweet reminders.

I gathered frames from my attic, and then a few from a local thrift shop.  I cleaned them all up good, and gave them a little spray with my favorite tool; spray paint.

I used: rust oleum American accents Honey(yellow) and Krylon gray

Once I had that all figured out, I needed to find pictures to fill the frames.  I knew I wanted to use some older pictures.  I went through my stash and pulled out a few of my favorites.

Sunshine photo wall-15

Isn’t Stella the cutest 5 year old?

I also grabbed a couple of my favorite prints from around the house and added them to this wall.  I have a couple that are mounted on a 12x12 wood square to make them stand out from the wall.

They are home to my favorite print about a lesson learned with Isaac, and Jex’s baptism.

Sunshine photo wall-19

I also knew that I wanted a few of the frames to have some words in them.  That is when I made these two printables.

Sunshine photo wall-26

This printable is for baby Ruby.  It hangs on my wall to remind me, of how precious we all are.

Sunshine photo wall-3

I made this for me kids, because I say this to them all the time.  Tess even says it back now.

Sunshine photo wall-5

I had this one printed through a lab into an 11x14, and then I put it in this frame. You can also print them, by going here.

Sunshine photo wall-6

This adorable round frame was one that I had one of my kids silhouettes in.  The glass broke so I decided to use it here.  I knew it had to have an owl in it.  Luckily my sweet friend Marji is awesome at cutting vinyl.  Thanks Marji.

Sunshine photo wall-8

This little space at the top was so hard for me.  It is awkward.  I hate that I have this round fire alarm hanging out in my gallery wall, but I decided that I didn’t want to burn in a fire either.  So I am rolling with it.  Marji cut this est. 1999 vinyl for me to fit perfectly in this awkward space. 

Now… to the final piece.  The part that holds this wall together.  The word art in the middle, “You are my Sunshine.”  Isn’t it awesome?  I originally saw it here and had to duplicate.

Sunshine photo wall-11

I went out to my local hardware store and bought this piece of wood.  It was already cut square like this, and was the perfect width.  I believe I paid $6 for it.  When I got it home, I spray painted it the same yellow.

Sunshine photo wall-21

Marji helped me cut out the words on her silouhette.  I picked the fonts and the sizes, and then we let the machine do the rest.  We cut them out of contact paper because I didn’t want to waste vinyl that I wasn’t going to use.  Once they were cut out, I used the opposite part of the words as a pattern.  I traced it on my wood.  I wanted the letters to be painted and not  vinyl lettering. I used the vinyl for my pattern only.

Sunshine photo wall-25

Once I had it all traced, I used a cream color acrylic paint to hand paint the letters.  When I was finished, I used a little sandpaper to rough it all up.

I absolutely love how it all came together.  The yellow and the gray together are the perfect combination.

Sunshine photo wall-10

It also brings a little sunshine into my day as I am reminded of those little rays in my life.

Sunshine photo wall-1

I think it is important to fill our home with the things that make us happy, make us smile, and help us remember our blessings.

28 comments:

Stella said...

You have an amazing style and your ideas are unique, brilliant and gorgeous. I love this wall; stunning!

Ashley said...

i love it!! you did a great job...

Goodnight moon said...

I love this wall! It has inspired me to make use of empty space in my living room. Thanks for the inspiration!

Beth Curtis said...

i seriously love all of it! I love that it goes floor to ceiling. Job well done!

The Hell on Heels Housewife said...

Beautiful wall...so personal!

Unknown said...

i think this is my fave wall in your house, I love it, the owl looks great with the yellow frame. Glad I could help you :)

Darlene said...

I love it Andrea! It's beautiful! You're always so creative and Marji did an awesome job with the lettering (way to go Marji!) :). I hope you'll have a great wall in your new house for it. I'm sure you will find a place ;).

SoSoBella said...

i absolutely love this! it's so great!

Simply Domestic said...

This is adorable! Great job, Andrea! I love the owl!

cathhasablog@gmail.com said...

This is so lovely. I love how it's the last thing you see before you go into your bedroom. I have a wall that is blank outside our bedroom...you've inspired me to do something like this! I've pinned it!

Cath @ Home is Where my Heart is: http://cathhasablog.blogspot.com/

KW said...

It turned out great! I will take one order of the You Are My Sunshine and one order of the rest of it as well. Thanks!

Jamie said...

LOVE this Andrea! You're amazing!

Three Chickadees said...

Can you please oh please share what font you used for the You are my Shine project? Thanks :)

Krysta said...

Perfect wall! It couldn't have turned out any better. That really is the perfect place for it too. I am doing one in my kitchen. That never ending progect list...

Nicole Martin said...

LOVE your wall! I was wondering if you could tell me the color of your wall?? I have been looking for something for my hallway and THAT is it!

Natalie said...

Found you through pinterest! Love this wall. Do you mind sharing what font you used your my sunshine wall art? Thanks

Michelle said...

I made the same "You are my Sunshine" art for my baby's nursery... Interesting! Here's what I did: http://ourdreamforeclosure.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/diy-dream-it-yourself-nursery-art/

Donelle said...

Can you tell me the measurement of your You Are MY Sunshine print? I just love this wall and I think I just might have a wall in my house that I could do this on:)

Dawn Lynn said...

This is fantastic, you are an inspiration!

Stacy said...

This is lovely! I like your style.

The Bossons said...

Please please please share your fonts for You are my Sunshine. I love it and bought the wood today. Now I just have to get to work on my silhouette for the artwork and I want to do the same font.

The Henry Family said...

Love this!! What is the wall paint color? Love it!!

thedycks said...

Oh My goodness, this is the exact wall I have thats empty, and your design is perfect. Do you ever consider making some of those signs and selling them? I have no idea where or how I could get the sign "you are my sunshine" and "love you to the moon and back" is it something you would consider making and selling to me? If so, email me at nicanddiana@gmail.com I'm so not crafty but love decorating my home...

Unknown said...

You are so talented! I love your photography!

Unknown said...

This wall is awesome! I would love to know the wall color as well, please?!?!! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Domestically Challenged said...

I love this wall!! I was thinking about things you could do with the smoke detector and I remembered I pinned this fun smoke alarm a bit ago. It would look awesome in place of the round one! http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=25204090&color=001

Scrappin Kaz... said...

Your blog is amazing. I found this photo on Pinterest and I needed to stop by.
Have had a wonderful read. Thank you for sharing..
Take care all the way from Australia - Cheers Karen

Brit said...

This is adorable! Did anyone ever figure out what Font the "You are my Sunshine" is in?

Related Posts with Thumbnails