Thursday, February 2, 2017

Delicious Chicken Curry.

It’s time to share one of my favorite recipes.

Chicken Curry

I’m sharing this because It’s cold outside, and I’ve caught a cold that has made me feel awful.  I’m at that point in the winter where I am ready for it to be over. 

This nice little recipe totally warms me up on a cold yucky day. It is full of those yummy good for you veggies, and it’s one that my kids beg for.

This is a recipe that I put together when we lived in the Caribbean.  I put it together because that’s when I discovered how much I loved curry, and I wanted to learn how to make it.

Every recipe that I read was different, so I took several recipes and took what I loved from each and put them all together.

What I love about this recipe is that it is a one pot recipe.  You can make everything except for the rice in one pot.  I hate when I have to dirty lots of pots and pans for one meal, so this one is awesome.

I love making this recipes in this pot.  It is my Pioneer Woman enameled Dutch oven.

cooking 2017-0115

Here is are the steps to this deliciousness:

What you will need:

2 T. olive oil

1 Large onion

2 cloves garlic

4 t. ginger

8 t. coriander

8 t. curry powder

2 t. cumin

1/4 t. turmeric

1/4 t. cayenne pepper

1/4 t. black pepper

3 t. salt

1 can petite diced tomatoes

3 cups water

3 t. chicken bouillon powder

8-12 chicken tenders or 4 chicken breasts

4 potatoes

1 yellow squash

A handful or two of baby carrots sliced in half

1 zucchini

1 sweet potato

3 cans coconut milk

Basmati Rice(must use basmati; this is what makes the curry taste so wonderful)

Chop onion into fine pieces, and heat oil.  Cook chopped onion until brown.  Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.  Add all the spices and cook for one minute more.  It will get really fragrant.  This will look like a lot of spices.

cooking 2017-0094

This is what makes it sooooo good.

cooking 2017-0089

I like to gather all the spices before I begin so that I’m not running around looking for them when it’s time to dump them in.

Add water, and thinly sliced potatoes, with chicken bouillon.  We like to slice the potatoes with a mandolin so they slice really thin, and cook faster. 

cooking 2017-0100

If you don’t have one, just chop them into smaller pieces.  Add the squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes, baby carrots, all the same way, and at the same time; and then add 2 cans of coconut milk to it. 

cooking 2017-0105

Cover it for about fifteen minutes and let it cook down and simmer over medium heat until the vegetables soften. 

After 15 minutes, add the chicken.  The chicken needs to be added in small pieces as well.  You can slice it, or I like to use kitchen shears and cut it in to small chunks.

cooking 2017-0109 

Cover it again, and let it stand for 15 more minutes.

Once you add the chicken, you should start preparing your rice in your rice cooker.  If you don’t have a rice cooker, you can just prepare this in a normal pot.

Add your last can of coconut milk to the pan, and add  2 more cans of water to the rice cooker or your pot.  Then add 2 cups of rice to the rice cooker, or the pan.  Hit cook on the rice cooker or follow the cooking instructions for the stovetop on the rice bag for the stovetop.

Basmati rice can be found in the grocery store by all the other rice.  It is a little bit more money, but it is so worth it. I promise!!

After fifteen minutes and your chicken is cooked, stir in the can of tomatoes; and serve over the hot rice.

Chicken Curry 

You guys will die this is so good.

It is even better the next day.  It makes great leftovers, and I really don’t even like leftovers.

2 comments:

julie said...

Looks delicious, I will definitely be trying this one. Thanks x

Lily Allen said...

Nice blog, the article you have shared is good.This article is very useful. My friend suggests me to use this blog. Really appreciate the same kindly keep writing the same.
clipping path

Related Posts with Thumbnails